Chuckie

Genetic Diversity

Aww thanks Sam, it is Sunday and there's no more footy on TV left to watch so I have time to burn ^_^

According to YellowPages, Fastways is listed as a company that is not located in Mildura but services the area. I had a look on a map and their closest location to you would most likely be Bendigo? It might be worth taking a look at their website or contacting them to see what they can offer you: http://www.fastwaycouriers.com.au

Another one that looked promising was VicFast: http://www.vicfast.com.au/

EDIT: You could also look at Australian Air Express - I believe they'll be a bit more expensive but it might get the job done! We have to import all our fish into Perth by AAE as it would take too long by courier. http://www.aae.com.au

There are quite a few "local" courier services that operate in Mildura and it looks like Greyhound is also listed under courier services. Perhaps they all link in together - eg. Greyhound has a contract with someone like Fastways so when the bus goes through Mildura it picks up a few parcels and delivers them to the closest depot? I'm not 100% sure how it works but I'm sure there is a system for people who live in the country to receive and send parcels by courier! Perhaps the local couriers listed in the YellowPages might be able to help you out? I just went to http://www.YellowPages.com.au and typed in "Couriers" and "Mildura" in the location and was given a list!

Hope that helps!

Edited by TraceBruno

I did a bit of ringing arould before continuing to use fastways and the result was always the same - nobody except fastways and AAE will ship live fish. I ran out of steam eventually - so hopefully there are some options out there. Jodi-Lea once posted some info about the legislation that makes it legally illegal to post fish ^_^ .

Couriers Please and someone or other else do ship fish, but they seem to only do it for big accounts like wholesalers. I can put my hand up for recieving in Sydney, but currently I can't ship without a whole bunch of hassle. Soon though :sad:

Can I just say it's great to hear people making an effort to change current practices in a range of areas. Lots of great suggestions many of which are viable if executed correctly. I am in adelaide and am available as a trans shipper of sorts as currently I am not working during the day and when I do start I have the enviable luxury of 11 weeks holiday each year as a teacher. Now, this is a profession which would lend itself to the shipping and recieving of fish at certain times during the year. The shipping "season" could be officially opened during school holidays with the beneficiaries picking fish up on the weekend or after hours. This would mean that many breeders would need to hold fish until such time as the "season" was opened. Fish could be packed and delivered by "trans shippers" for a fee. I reckon this could work. Makes for a busy time but at least it's not ongoing and continuous, expensive transport of fish. As for the "stalkers" they can come to my house any time and have a crack if they like!

i heard that the local peel valley removalists carry parcels from sydney to tamworth regularly as they go to and from sydney and tamworth almost every single day! however it's not much help when it's just me that would be using them :-/ BUT local removalists may do the same for people in more populated areas :wub: just a thought :) and thanks on the info for aust post guys :sad:

You don't want the stalker I have in mind ... trust me. That's a great offer for Adelaide BTW :) :sad:

First off Lilli can I say what an interesting thread you have started. As a newbie to the world of Bettas it has given a real insight to whats going on with the breeding of them in Aus. I am also at the setting up stage for breeding and agree with Trace in that I would start with tail types and colour that I like, which happens to be CT's although I do have a pair of red butterfly Plakats from Deb and Step that I'll breed one day. I would love to breed some of the amazing colours you see on Aquabid but the whole importing thing is very tempting but atm is also a bit daunting too. So far I have relied on breeders/importers here in Aus. and lfs for all the fish I have and I must say if it wasn't for this forum I would have been absolutely stuffed. I think Nicks idea of a list of lines is good. It would certainly help someone like myself to get a bit of an idea as to what was lacking in Aus. Betta lines and maybe help do something about it. I would love to have a go at a line that is not common even if they weren't that popular. Imho I don't think your'e being paranoid at all and like I said this has been a very interesting thread for me. Cheers,Dave :blink:

Is there an offical registery for bettas in Australia? I keep wanting to start tracking down the ancestors of my fish, but it's so difficult when everyone calls their fish different things (or even not at all). For example, I'm going to be naming any keepers from my next two spawns with 'B's, but then whoever buys them will probably not name them, name them something to their fancy, or just call them by a number, or "that one I got off Lee". It makes it particularly difficult to track stock. (Please excuse if this has been covered... Haven't read the entire thread. :dontknow: )

I would say the breeder profiles here on the forum would be your best luck :dontknow: I think breeder might need to start filling out spawn records and lineage forms for buyers. I can help with your fish history, since we share the spawn siblings :blush: