Cleaners

crdave

Hi Everyone, I have a 2ft tank that is currently occupied by 4 female bettas and a bronze cory. Problem is it gets green algae on the glass etc. One of the lfs owners said it isn't harmfull to the fish or anything which would ring true as all the fish are perfectly happy and healthy you just cant see 'em as well as I'd like. I'd like to have a nice little cleaning crew in there but need advice on what would be suitable. Maybe Algae eaters or mystery snails? I have no idea so any help would be much appreciated.

i have algae eaters (under 3" cause they grow to 1' and stop eating algae at about 6") and mystery snails as well as some ramshorn snails to keep my tank clean, they work pretty well, but you need to occasionally add in spirulina tabs as they eat a LOT and algae isn't enough all the time. btw, mystery snails are big on eating any soft plants you have in the tank.

Hi crdave.. celeste is right. Drop in a quarter of an algae wafer and they should be all good. I actually find that the snails eat any food that falls to the bottom... It's hilarious when the snail tries to hold onto a shrimp pellet and the cories try to get at it.

Has anybody tried algae eating shrimp? in particular Caridina japonica? I have been reading about these and was just wondering if anyone had tried them? Also curious as to how tasty fish seem to think they are :lol: they say not to mix them with aggressive fish but I'd like to find out if bettas have a go at them.

Ive placed an order for some glass shrimp from Livefish.com.au and should be recieving them soon, will post the details soon, are japonica amano shrimp? im very sure they arent allowed in Aus as many overseas inverts arent :lol: . I plan to get a colony going in my nano and then will introduce them to my betta tanks, and after that in with my rams. HTH apple snails scare me they get the size of tennis balls and have feelers.... enough said

Archived