Bolivian Butterflys

sammc

I recently purchased a pair of bolivian butterflys which i housed in their own tank. The thing is i have now decided to dedicate that tank to my blue rams (which i am getting more of). I was just curious, does anyone know if bolivian butterflys can go with betta females? (forgot to add- the water here in mildura is slightly acidic so all my tanks have the same water chemistry)

I'd take a punt at no, but I've never kept them so i'm not sure how far the limits can be pushed. does the tank have lots of 'stuff' that can be used as territory markers? If so, maybe pop them together on a day that you can watch the interaction and see how it goes?

• 3 weeks later...

I think i have a pair, that is they have spawned before, but the eggs were eaten by the morning, as they inhabit a community tank. The main difference that i used when picking mine were the extensions to the dorsal ( the males is longer, and apprently has more segment, ive never counted mine :drool: ) and the extensions on the caudal (again the males being more elongate) size can also be a determining factor my male is larger, not by much... colouration is similar however and neither have the purple bellies of blue rams. My female at the moment i belive is getting ready to spawn again shes gotten a lot bigger and her ovipositor is showing, its much similar to a female bettas, sticks straight down, while a males is more slanted. I find that their fighting or displays arent very good signs, they bicker daily over trivial things like food... If you need pictures i can grab a few tomorrow hopefully :) Hope That Helps, Dan EDIT: if you post up some pics we could try guessing, im sure others would have a better idea than me :goodo:

Archived