Bob The Betta

Celeste84

well, this is the big boy of my unknown spawn. he's got curling in his dorsal and anal fins (genetic unfortunatly, anyone know hoe to breed it out?) but is developing a nicely spread DRCT tail ;) he's a real bastard to the other juvies, but i love him to bits ;)

Posted Image

sorry for the koi photo, i need to get the algae off the sides of the tank >.>;;

his dad - a DRCT - also had curling. since he came from a pet store i thought it might have been due to the shipping to the store, but, bob is in pristine soft water with pleanty of sunlight and a warm tank, so it must be genetic - also i haven't been able to reduce the curl in ember's fins either. and yeah, as soon as i find my photo tank i'll get some pics :D

this guy is in a 25L tub with a strong corner filter and IA leaves as well as a heater :D there's only 5 fish in there - another male his size and 3 smaller juvies (half their size). i did everything i could think of to prevent ray curling :D i;d heard you need soft water so i use tank water, i also heard you need a current (hence the strong bubbling and such), i also heard it needs to be warm and have good sunlight which they have :D they get added vitamins into the water so i know it's not a deficency, and the little guy eats like a pig :D he has a varied diet and is fed twice a day :D have i missed anything?

LOL i'm hoping once he's in the barracks he'll flare more and straighten them a bit, but i'll never use the little guy for breeding unfortunatly, only any siblings without the curled rays :blink: (mum is a combtail so i'm hoping that means not allt he babies will get the curling).

Archived