Get it OFF get it OFF! - algae issue

Callatya

I've never had algae, never never never! sure, the standard green spot and the odd patch of diatoms, but THIS, this is just hideous!

Posted Image

Posted Image

What is this stuff??

Its the type that holds on for all it is worth, and i've resorted to chopping parts of my leaves off! I tried bleaching it off, it took 40 minutes for there to be any change, and even then, it just stayed put and became a ghostly white!

:o

The tank is overstocked, and I know that this stuff feeds off imbalances in the chemistry, but I would love to know what it is and how to kill it off to a certain point before i hit the WQ thing too heavily.

I tried that already as a means of eradication and I just got very discouraged :)

Help??

I had almost identical algae in my tank awhile back. It was when I had a super dooper bright light, then it blew up and I am down to a lesser bright tube, its all gone now. I was thinking the lights was too bright as the plants up the top were the only ones affected.

I don't have it anymore, but I also have BN's and Snails in that particular tank :)

have you tried a lights out? 3 days of the tank wrapped in foil made a significant dent in a similar algae problem that I had. Not a pretty option though - hubby was unimpressed. "it's not a science lab, it's a house!". LOL.

Maybe an organic matter sponge could help too - but they are way pricey :)

Archived