Hi There....

RedDragon

My name is Fiona and I'm living in Brisbane. I design computer systems to support my addictive hobbies. I've just set up some new aquariums (I haven't kept fish since I was a kid....many years ago) and I'm interested in trying to breed some fish. I stumbled across this forum while doing some Google searching about different types of fish and fish breeding. It looks like a good place to get info and advice, and get in contact with people. I current have a 5ft tank with some Cichlid juveniles of the following types: Electric Yellows Electric Blues Blue Dolphins Flamebacks Convicts And a 2ft tank with Guppies. I started out with 2 x Males and 4 x females...had a population explosion shortly after I got them home...but only 3 of the little ones have survive so far. Since then, one of my male guppies has gone to that great guppy pond in the sky. :-( At the moment I'm trying to decide what types of fish that I want to try and breed....I like the guppies - but I hadn't realised that there were some many strains available, although I haven't been able to track down any breeders of these strains in Aus. I also like the Platies, Sailfin Mollies, Bettas, and of course the Cichlids. I thought I'd try and start with something easy (seeing that it's going to be awhile before the cichlids are mature), but I don't know much about getting breeding stock or what to look for in breed stock at the aquarium shops, or even if I should try and buy breeding stock from an aquarium. Any advice that anyone here could give me would be greatly appreciated. Cheers for now.

I'm planning on keeping the 5th for Cichlids only.... and possibly getting a second 5th some time in the future. The 2ft tank I'll keep for live bearers...guppies, platies.. I don't mind buying more tanks in future.... I've been reading up on Bettas on the Net and they seem interesting to breed..... does anyone know if the is an aquarium around Brissy that sells good breeding stock.... or would it be better to get a couple of pairs from a breeder or someone from this forum???

Najrick (Najina and Pat) Breed beautiful bettas! I have had some of their CT's They are just north of Brissy. someone (someone) immports and breeds Bettas also. There is other breeders like VickiPS, Bren Macfish (she needs home for her red CTs :thumbs: *plug*plug*) and others I cannot think off the top of my head atm.:thumbs:

G'day Fiona, Great to see another Brisbanite :thumbs: . As you might have guessed from the faewyn's post there's a fair few betta breeders here. I used to breed livebearers as a kid, but if you want to try something really interesting give bettas a go. I'd strongly recommend talking to a breeder rather than the pet shop (no matter what species you chose), I'm still impressed at how bad lfs advice can be. Not to mention I've started seeing painted baloon mollies showing up in Brisbane pet shops :thumbs: . Hope to see you round, Peter

Bakerman, DebStep, Vicki and fishngym I think are all up that way and all breed bettas.

Bettas are interesting to breed (anyone find it funny tht I would say that? LOL!) but there are a few things to bear in mind. To breed bettas you need at least dedicated 3 tanks - the male's tank, the female's tank, and the spawning tank. You need (IMO) live first foods on hand to feed the babies. Microworms followed by baby brine shrimp are good choices. But the fun really starts once the babies start to spat and you need to jar them individually. A good sized spawn can result in 200 babies, and let's say 50% are male, so that means you need to have 100 jars on hand, and time to do regular water changes. I'm not trying to turn you off breeding bettas, just mentioning some things that you may not have thought of so you don't end up with a nasty surprise! If you do decide to breed bettas, there are plenty of helpful and experienced people here.

Sorry, I should have said Peter's up in Brissie too! And he posted while I was still typing my reply .. then I went and ate dinner ... then finished the post LOL! Peter is a bit of a genetics guru, too :thumbs:

Hi Fiona, Welcome to AusAqua. A better group of betta freaks we are yet to find. We're just up the road in Gladstone and to add to those already mentioned Kerry-Marie is just up the road in Rockhampton as well. So QLD gets a good representation here :thumbs: Cheers, Pat and Najina

Bakerman, DebStep, Vicki and fishngym I think are all up that way and all breed bettas. 

Bettas are interesting to breed (anyone find it funny tht I would say that?  LOL!) but there are a few things to bear in mind.  To breed bettas you need at least dedicated 3 tanks - the male's tank, the female's tank, and the spawning tank.  You need (IMO) live first foods on hand to feed the babies.  Microworms followed by baby brine shrimp are good choices.  But the fun really starts once the babies start to spat and you need to jar them individually.  A good sized spawn can result in 200 babies, and let's say 50% are male, so that means you need to have 100 jars on hand, and time to do regular water changes.  I'm not trying to turn you off breeding bettas, just mentioning some things that you may not have thought of so you don't end up with a nasty surprise!  If you do decide to breed bettas, there are plenty of helpful and experienced people here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the info Lilli. I did see see alot of info on the Net today about what's involved with Betta breeding, especially some of the barracks that people have created in their fish rooms. I'd still like to give a go.

Is there anyone in Brissy with a pair or two to sell, or that need a good home to go to?? I must admit that I'm partial to the CT, DT, HM and OHM types, especially in the black, blue or teal colors, or that have a striking contrast of colors like red / blue, etc.

Good luck Fiona! I think that most people find VTs an easy type for their first betta spawn, if you wanted a less-troublesome type to "get your eye in" with. They are less disease prone and less neurotic. They are a lot cheaper to buy, too!! But of course it costs as much to raise VTs as HMs etc so if that's your preference, go for it.

Hi Fiona and welcome to AusAqua.  I too am in Brisbane, where are you from?

I have some CT's and fancy guppies that I will be selling but there not quite ready yet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Southside.....Parkinson - near Calamvale / Algester

I'd be interested in buying some CT's and fancy guppies from you.....what colour CT's??

Archived