Metallic Pastel Spawn

NICK1960

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your a freak Nick! Do you mind telling me what the purpose the takeaway cup serves in front left corner with holes in it and rock on it? Is it a feeding safehaven?

Congrats again!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Clint....always like to be different.

The "takeaway cup" is my very own "Dalek DeNitratifier" (as in Dr Who). I believe it cuts down on water changes because the resin (in the rock, which in reality is just like a big tea bag) removes Nitrate. Every now and then I recharge it in salt water

The "takeaway cup" is my very own "Dalek DeNitratifier" (as in Dr Who). I believe it cuts down on water changes because the resin (in the rock, which in reality is just like a big tea bag) removes Nitrate. Every now and then I recharge it in salt water

What sort of rock Nick? Coffee rock or something?

What sort of rock Nick? Coffee rock or something?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The "rock" is not a rock. It's Nitrasorb. I got it from:

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/index.htm

Here is a picture of Dad: I would call him a pink Platinum Opaque. He has dark pink spotting in his fins which looks to me like Dalmation Spotting. Some of his fry also have this.

Dad: "Bubba" (He really likes his food and he is HUGE and is as happy as a pig in Sh...t with all of his babies who are over 6 weeks old now)

Posted Image

Some of the "spotted" Fry:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

omg they are so cute!

Would the spotting on this lot be related to marble or the orange spot spotting, or something different entirely?

I'm hoping Stefan that it's the same as the gene that causes Dalmatian spotting. According to the article by Victoria Parnell:

Here's the link: http://www.bettysplendens.com/articles/pag...?articleid=1757,

Marble and Dalmatian Spotting are caused by different genes. Parnell postulates that when Dalmatian Spotting occurs on a red finned fish, the resultant red spots may be hidden by the fact that the surrounding fin is the same colour. In the pink opaque, the red has been diluted by the lack of dark under colour and the opaque layer resulting in pink finage. I suppose it's possible that if Parnell's hypothesis is correct, that here we have an instance of genetically red fish showing the influence of the spotting gene because the background red colour has been paled enough so that the spots can show up on the pink background.

Archived