Metallic Pastel Spawn

NICK1960

re. photographing them. Have you tried using lots of lighting from several angles at once instead of flash?

I'll try that Stefan, thanks for the tip! ;)

OMG I thought of a name for them - Palomino! Golden body, white fins. Well, white butterfly pattern anyway. And the black/grey shading is like what horse people would call "smut" - a common feature of palominos.

Lisa, At the risk of counting chickens before they're hatched, or was that fishies before.....oh never mind.........I think we have a strain name........I think that it is only fitting that you have come up with the name......after all, it was you who discovered them........see it's not just rock stars who can come up with catchy titles.....anyway, I was getting sick of the religious themes........you know....crusaders.....dragons........ :tongue:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nick, Firstly great looking fish mate. Well done. As for the photo side of things Stefan has it right. You need good lighting. Different light and use of flash will get different results. Use of light and no flash gives you the natural colour with no metallic sheen. If you use a flash it gives you the metallic sheen but you lose a lot of the colour or it gives a different colour. We use white light and if possible supplement it with natural light. But that supposes anyone has the luxury of taking photos during daylight hours :tongue: And if I could hesitate a guess I would say the pics you have taken are all of males. But I've been wrong before and will be wrong again ;) Either way beaut fish. Cheers, Pat.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some pictures of two of the boys who have developed a bit more. I took these shots with no flash, just morning sunlight streaming in from the north facing window. The pictures "almost" capture their true beauty. Just can't capture the "penciling" of black that outlines the star of irridiance on the first boys caudal.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone.

Amazing photos nick, the colour shows up so well! Did any of them turn out to be female?

I'm not sure yet Phil as there are still some in the original spawning tank with Dad.

I sure hope there are some females, otherwise Lisa is going to be the only person with female relatives to these guys!

Here's some pictures of two of the boys who have developed a bit more.  I took these shots with no flash, just morning sunlight streaming in from the north facing window. The pictures "almost" capture their true beauty.  Just can't capture the "penciling" of black that outlines the star of irridiance on the first boys caudal.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

this is the feather tail Nick

• 4 weeks later...

Here is the first palomino to palomino spawn. Unfortunately there was only one female in the original spawn and I managed to breed her with her spawn brother. Both of these fish have more opaque showing than the ones that have been featured above. Their colour would be described as Red White Metallic Opaque/Platinum. The Dad is the palest shade of coral pink. The spawn is 5 weeks old and Dad is still in with the fry.

I moved them to a bigger tank today and was struck by they way they glow like fire flies and reflect light onto the back of the tank so that they seem to be surrounded by an aura. Lisa first noticed this effect with the dragon fry but it is more pronounced with these guys.

Here are some shots of the growout:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hmm, what's that calling me East - is it the sea? Is it the possibility of Chelsea buns? No - it is some of the most gorgeous fish I have ever seen!! Great development for 5 weeks, too. Mine are all still tiddlers! Then again... (counts backwards on fingers) I think they are less than 5 weeks old, they just seem older as I had to start from scratch and re-spawn my boys.

Archived