Metallic Pastel Spawn

NICK1960

Hi everyone,

Here are some pictures of an "experimental" cross I perfomed 3 months ago using a Lavender/pink HM male I bred from a Lavender Butterfly pair and a Marble Platinum female PK I acquired from Grandbetta in Thailand. Phil and I took these photos yesterday. I have called these guys Metallic Pastels because they only have one metallic gene from their mother. If they had 2 metallic genes they would be platinums. Their mother certainly had a very thick metallic pastel look to her.

I cant remember what fish was what except to say these pics are of males!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This tail shot is an attempt to capture the fin colour which has a unique black shadowing.

Posted Image

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The trouble with these is that the irid so dense that you can't see through the fish whether there's an ovary. I decided not to chance that "female" as I suspect she may turn into a very pretty boy! And I thought it was only fair to leave Nick some to play with, LOL! I can't wait to see what my crosses of these males produces (I took 2 home with me :P ) They were so un-cooperative to photoraph, but that's bettas I guess!

I can't wait to see what my crosses of these males produces (I took 2 home with me :welcome: )

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes I was very pleased that Lisa decided to take home the 2 "aunties" to spawn with these boys. The "aunties" are spawn sisters to the father with really good caudal spreads. One is a pastel blue and the other a yellow. I remember keeping an eye on these 2 when they were growing and keeping them with the intention of breeding them. Then I got a little too "lucky" with 5 spawns at the same time and really didn't think I would ever get round to using these girls. I'm really looking forward to Lisa's results pairing the boys to their aunts. I'm going to try a sibling pairing. It will be interesting to see how the 2 planned lines diverge and/or converge.

OMG, I love LOVE these fish. I found myself thinking about them all day, and when I got home I couldn't wait to run upstairs and visit them. They are SO beautiful. The pictures honestly don't - can't - do them justice. It's all about deportment! Both boys have built lovely bubblenests already. They have a 12 L cube tank each, and tonight when I uncarded them they went ballistic. Amazing to think that 48 hours ago they were living together in a tub in perfect harmony! It was so funny how we went to Nick's to look at the dragons but I was utterly mesmerised by these guys. That didn't stop me leaving with 2 dragon pairs as well, LOL!

Great looking fish Nick. And I really know how hard it is to take any pic of light bodied metallic so I can only imagine how beautiful these guys would look in real life. :betta: And Lilli it's great to see that you took some home with you. I could never quite picture you without a betta to brighten up your day. :thumbs: Najina

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys. Its funny I was so consumed by the dragons and then the metallic teal spawn that this spawn was kind of on the backburner. It was a small spawn and I have had them in a 10 litre tub with dad the whole time. I couldn’t see them very well through the plastic but I though they were "interesting". Then on Saturday they were "unveiled" by Lisa, Phil and Abbey and I though OMG it's amazing what plastic can hide! :thumbs::lol: I have to go check what's left and "think" about the show Abbey. Funny I used to show and breed Burmese cats in the 80's and did very well and there was a hell of a lot of preparation involved. You'd think sending a few fish up to Jody would be straight forward :cheer: I think Lisa probably has the "better" individuals for showing at the moment though..... :betta:

I would jar and card him/her and see what sprouting happens. Even if it is a her, I'd send that one. If it is a him, see how the sprouting goes. Just stunning!! Look at the butterfly pattern. Can you tell I am besotted much?

Here's some more. I'm driving myself crazy trying to show the metallic of the body and the subtlety of the fin patterning. Flash shows up the reflectivity of the body and no flash is better for showing the fins.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Female?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have to stop now. Najina, tell me how you do it, photograph light bodied metallics that is? :):scared:

Oh and thanks Lisa, Ive just jarred 2 of them, not sure I picked the correct ones. Will have to go look properly when I'm not working.

Holy cow! They are stunning! The one in the 3rd photo, I'm gonna say it is a male. I don't see *any* ovary and the body and finnage looks exactly like a male's should. But the more I look at it, it could also be a female. What does it do when you put a female in its tank? Do they do that b**ch-slap thing that 2 girls normally do for ages, or does the proper female run away after a brief confrontation? I think the last one could be a female. Argh, it so confusing now that female HMs come in longer fins!

OMG I thought of a name for them - Palomino! Golden body, white fins. Well, white butterfly pattern anyway. And the black/grey shading is like what horse people would call "smut" - a common feature of palominos.

Archived