No Water Changes... The Eddie And Lilli Method

splendidbetta

• 2 years later...

just to revisit the "non toxic ammonium" issue which starwing didn't come back and clear up for us, my tanks were all cycled and used sponge filters. So presumably there was neither ionised or non-ionised ammonia in any detectable level in them. I don't let my fish live in a toilet.

• 1 month later...

I have 9 female bettas in my 34L planted tank and I change 50% roughly every 3-4 months. I do top the water up often because it's so hot here and the water evaporates (tank was half full after a 2 week holiday!) Fish are healthy and happy, ammonia etc are not a problem. I think it's due to a combination of quite heavy planting in the tank and good quality filter media.

edit - i couldn't remember ever changing the water! but i have done it - twice now

• 3 weeks later...

This is a really interesting thread, the more natural the habitat the better and healthier the fish will be =)

I have found i really interesting everyone's view point seems more plants and a great filter system means less work! always a plus =)

kylie

• 3 weeks later...

This is a really interesting thread, the more natural the habitat the better and healthier the fish will be =)

I have found i really interesting everyone's view point seems more plants and a great filter system means less work! always a plus =)

kylie

Yup, my philosophy is that I'm just too lazy to change the water often enough, so I make sure the setup is as low maintenance as possible!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I think I need to ease up on my water changes now. In one week I do a 25% water change & a few days later I do about a 75% water change. My fish seem very happy & healthy, but it does take up a lot of my time to do that to 9 tanks (soon to be 11). So I guess if it's not necessary, I can let it go a bit more. Yippee!

• 2 weeks later...

WOW this is an OLD topic. But in terms of tank cleans, well I'm down to 3 tanks now, not the 23 I used to keep LOL.

The 4' tank I replace filter media every 2-2.5 months (not monthy like I'm supposed to - because it's big, heavy and I have spinal condition limiting heavy lifting) my OH regularly tops it up (which I guess substitues for water changes). It's heavily planted and no issues, with the exception of one case of hole in head, other fish were not infected so I think it was isolated and specific to that fish.

I like the super grow method too because I was sick of runty fry. But I found with my last spawn that letting the water go a little brown actually helped the boys to sprout. In pristine water their fins remained short. I'm not sure why this occoured as I did no follow up spawn but next time I will certainly need to look into other options like few changes as I now have my hands full with rodents as well as fish.

I got two barraks sitting under the coffee table just itching to be used. If only I could find a space to put them :)

Archived