Sign in to follow this  
Erren

Fastway (postage) Service For Melbourne

Hi. I am actually offering a postage service for ppl in Melbourne. If any breeder or seller in Melbourne that needs to send their bettas across eastern seaboard i'm willing to help out sending them to your buyer. I hold too many fastway label and don't know when i would finish up all the labels :blush: . Postage label (Red zone) for $7.95 + $0.8 GST. That's the exact label price. Normally seller would charge postage including handling and packaging etc($20-$25). Pls make sure, buyers aware of whats included in postage cost ($20-$25). $8.75 is what needs to be paid to Fastway and the rest is to cover up packaging and handling cost. I don't offer packaging service such as the styrofoam esky, heatpacks, plastic bag, rubber band, etc. I would expect seller to do proper packaging as i do not be held responsible if fish did not survive during shipment. All i'm offering is the fastway service labels which you could not get unless you joined them for $160+ (20 labels). Fastway will not be held resposible if fish not survive. I prefer to ship fish on Monday and Tuesday to avoid fishes being held in depot during weekend. The driver will take the package at 2.30 PM and fishes would then be transported from depot at 5.30 PM. Next day delivery to Sydney and Adelaide,2 days to Brisbane and Goldcoast. I lived in Melbourne CBD so the driver will pick all the parcel from my address. Sellers could drop off the packages 1 or 2 hours before 2.30 PM. But pls sms me a day before so i could make sure someone at home the following day. Tracking number will be given via email to seller. There would be slight delay for tracking number to show up and hence, won't be required for next day delivery. I will accept payment of $8.75 via cash or direct deposit to my bank account. Cash would be much easier for such a small amount. PS: I do not help with packaging, i would expect seller dropping off the "finalised packaging" to me. If unsure, contact me. I will try to help via email.

Edited by Erren

Hi Erren, you are a life-saver. I may need your help with the fastway service sometime this year. How many tickets do you have, and when do they expire? Thankyou.

I still have about 18 or so. Don't worry, my friends got about 40 or so!. There is no expiry date for the labels. So, feel free to contact me anytime.

Another thing is: The weight limit is 5kg/parcel. 1 litre of water is about 1 kg. So to be safe, 1 parcel could cary 4 bettas.

There is also a size limit for the styrofoam box (dead weight). The formula is: Height x Width x Length x 250 = 15kg. So basicly if you got styrofoam box as: 60 cm in height, 30cm in width and 10 cm in length ; the calculation is as follow:

0.6(H) x 0.3 (W) x 0.1 (L) x 250 = 4.5 kg

4.5 kg is below 15 kg therefore it is accepted.

The greater weight of kilograms is used. So if your parcel weight only 2 kg but the dead weight is 16 kg; then 16kg is used. 16kg is exceeding 15kg and won't be accepted by fastway. Unless you used 2 labels or the excess labels 5kg more per labels (which i don't have)

Posted Image

Edited by Erren

This is the guideline written by someone Lea on how to ship betta inter-state safely. Transporting fish The following is a guide to preparing and packing fish for a one to two day (24-48 hour) journey. Some species are more robust and adaptable than others. If you are a novice fish keeper shipping stock for the first time, you may like to call upon the assistance of a more experienced hobbyist or professional. Remember, fish are living creatures. They deserve to be treated humanely, with respect and care. Once you have received an order for your fish, mark the bowl/tank appropriately and start your preparations!! Purging Starve fish for at least 24, preferably 48 hours, before shipping. This allows the gut to clean and minimises fouling of the water in the shipping bag. (If you live in a high pH water region, and the fish are going to an area with a more moderate pH, use this purging period to adjust the pH down to 7.5 with a couple of water changes.) Bagging Use proper aquarium fish bags, preferably ones with rounded corners. If not available, tape the corners to prevent small fish (eg tetras, guppies) from jamming themselves headfirst into the corners and suffocating/getting squashed. Clip lock lunch bags are NOT suitable for shipping fish! The same goes for freezers bags etc. (Use them for your tuna sandwiches!) Fill no more than 1/3 of the bag volume with clean water, the same parameters as those the fish are currently in. (i.e. temperature, pH, salinity etc) Add fish and tie off the bag. If using elastic bands, use two. Avoid touching the fish with your hands. Some species e.g. tetras, pacific blue-eyes, will burn wherever they are touched. Use a soft, fine gauge, wet net. It is not a good idea to put only 2 fish into a bag. Either bag them separately, or group together at least 3-4. Two fish in a bag generally become one fish, (one kills the other), and then no fish! (Fouled water kills the victor!) This is especially true of Cichlids! If you are sending large numbers of fish, or expect transport time to be longer than a day, inflate the bag with oxygen. Cylinders can be hired from BOC gases. Always double bag! It is a mandatory requirement for fish sent by air. Some breeders advocate inverting the first bag (the one with the fish in it) and placing it top down into the second bag. If you are sending large fish or those with spines (eg Catfish, Cichlids), it may be necessary to triple or quadruple bag. A folded sheet of newspaper can also be placed between the first and second bags to stop spines piercing the outer bag. Packing Pack the bagged fish into a suitable esky. Fill dead space with shredded paper or Styrofoam packing. Thin walled eskies (short journeys – mild weather) may be purchased from Supermarkets. If you use old bloodworm eskies, wash them well with soap and water first. Foam boxes for air transport must meet Australian Aviation Standards. Rmax (http://www.rmax.com.au/contact.htm) sell study little foam boxes at a reasonable price. Be mindful of the weather. Use heat packs or cooler blocks if necessary. Protect the esky with a cardboard over-box. Extra insulation (eg shredded paper) can be packed around the esky to stop it from moving around in the box. Seal the esky and outer box with packing tape. Labelling If using a courier: Clearly label the top of the box with the receiver’s name and address. Place your name and phone number on the side of the box, or clearly marked as sender, on the top. If the delivery address is a private residence, do not put the receiver’s phone number on the box. Affix the courier docket to the top of the box. Clearly label the box with “Live Fish – handle with care” or words to that effect. Call the courier and book in the pickup. Contact the receiver and inform them of expected delivery time and the consignment note number. In regards to using Australia Post, you should be aware of the following. As per clause D3.5 of the Dangerous & Prohibited Goods & Packaging Post Guide - Australia Post prohibits the shipping of live animals, except for bees, leeches and silkworms. Improper use of postal services is an offence under the Crimes Act 1914. It is possible if you get caught both you AND the recipient may be charged by the RSPCA for cruelty to animals. Australia Post handles freight mechanically via conveyor belts and rollers. It is a pretty brutal trip! So there you have it! Now you are ready to ship your precious little finny friends around the country! Best regards, someone.

I think the bettas get shipped in about 250mls or so of water so you could fit quite a few in for the weight :blush:

yup, its quite true. i guess it depends on how big the platic bag is and how big the fishes and water do you put in. But the dead weight limit is 15kg so make sure the styrofoam fits the dead weight of 15 kg and weight as whole of 5kg. Its quite difficult to find a smaller styrofoam box but biggest brocolli styrofoam box still fall under the dead weight of 15kg. Remember, more fish means less water as you need to put each betta in each plastic bag to meet the 5 kg limit. Pls don't torture you fishes :blush: ps: styrofoam is free up for grabs in the back side of most groceries, fish market, aquarium shop. But make sure, you ask from the owner. I don't think they would care coz it has been thrown away anyway. But, you might find a smaller one normally on Friday. Don't know why, but most store getting their stock on Friday. I have asked quite a few store lately

Edited by Erren

Just a quick note on the labels - they cover up to 5kg - anything over this requires an excess sticker. Broccoli boxes cube out to over 12kg - so will need 2 excess labels. Most of the time you will get away with it though. Fastway also has some odd pricing structures. It is more expensive to send from Brisbane to Melbourne than it is from Melbourne to Brisbane. They changed from the red to an orange sticker about 12 months back. No Fastway Rep can tell me why! Cheers, J

I guess more ppl in QLD are using Fastway than in Melbourne. Hence, fastway increase the price as there is a market to exploit. Or they are less driver in Qld. Its a bit weird. Just realised that they got a different price structure around.

Anyway, this is the complete pricing structure for Melbourne:Click Here

Hope this also help. Another thing, if anyone feels that i do made mistake or offend ppl by posting this thread, pls let me know. I do apologise for that. I posted similar thread in other forum and so far has received quite a bad feedback from the moderator.

interesting page - can you still buy small numbers of tickets in Melbourne? Minimum for red tickets here is 40. Cheers, J

why bad feedback? As someone who has provided a similar service for other people for parcels out of Sydney as a favour, I know what a pain in the @$$ it is - more power to you!

A member on another forum kept going on about that Fastways were not allowed to ship live fish and if you did so it was breaking their rules of 'no livestock' (to me livestock is sheep, cattle, pigs and in some cases cats and dogs NOT fish) and that if one of the depots finds out they're fish they could detain then and send them back. Erren contacted her local rep who said fish aren't a problem but still the member kept saying that cause he deals with Fastways on a weekly basis he (pretty much said) 'I know the rules better than you do and they say no.' and has said she's ignored the facts, that her rep has little or no idea and that the people who have given her good feedback 'who either dont know the facts or choose to ignore them'. There's a lot more in said thread but he repeats himself over and over again and says some nasty things about some people here (could copy and paste into a PM, but that's mean :thumbs:) Erren. Don't be disheartened by what others say, a lot of us have used Fastways with little (or no) problems.

Edited by faewyn

Well said Em -- covered it all really. Having followed that thread for a while I was amazed that Erren was being criticized for offering a service that would obviously be appreciated. Well I'm sure it was appreciated by most but in this case when one person deems it necessary to think they needed to remind everyone else of their own self importance then it turned into a criticise Erren fest. Erren you did nothing wrong (but for some people even that is excuse enough to ban) and I have never heard of Fastways rejecting Live fish before. We clearly label all ours and then remind the courier when they do get here. Restrictions on live fish have never been placed and in one instance they have offered to pay for the cost of any fish that turned up dead when they stuffed up and admitted it. Not any concilation I know but it shows they were aware of there being live fish and a number of franchises were involved and agreeing. Pat.

Thank you for your reply guys. I just didn't know the administrator of another forum on the net not this forum have problems with some of ppl in this forum and picking up on me because i paste someone's shipping advice in there. The shipping advice has been there for about 3+ years but the administrator didn't delete it but as soon as i re-introduced it, he erased anything associate with someone and author name of the shipping advice. Its legal for the administrator using it weekly to ship fish but its illegal for me. What the..? Really causing some of my buyers who haven't received the fish scare to death reading all the administrator's advice.

interesting page - can you still buy small numbers of tickets in Melbourne?  Minimum for red tickets here is 40.

Cheers, J

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup, its either minimum of 10 or 20 labels. Hopefully it doesn't change to 40. But i got a mate who using fastway as their courier for eBay business. He got about 40 or so and i think he will continue with fastway once he finished up the label so i might just buy 1 or 2 if fastway really change to minimum of 40 in Melbourne. Anyone still need the labels in future are more than welcome. I will get it from my mate for you. But the shipment still need to be done from my address. I guess Fastway labels are restricted by region (Not too sure)

Edited by Erren

You can't argue with people who keep changing their story. It's a good offer and something that we more lazy Melbournians need.

Edited by faewyn

the weather in Melbourne certainly help that for sure :applaud:

Edited by faewyn

Well done Erren for helping us Melbournians out. It'll help in the long run at improving our betta livestock here in Australia. Kudos to you and your willingness to help us out!

Hi guys. You may have noticed that some of the posts above have been edited or removed. We have done this to avoid provoking anyone. PMs or emails are the appropriate form of discussion of matters such as those that we have removed. We hope you understand why it has been necessary for us to take this action. Please PM any of us if you want to discuss our decision or if you want to change your forum user name. Let's keep the politics off the forum and stick to the fish, hey? Thanks, Faewyn, Mouse, Lilli and Callatya

Hi guys.  You may have noticed that some of the posts above have been edited or removed.  We have done this to avoid provoking anyone.  PMs or emails are the appropriate form of discussion of matters such as those that we have removed.  We hope you understand why it has been necessary for us to take this action. 

Please PM any of us if you want to discuss our decision or if you want to change your forum user name. 

Let's keep the politics off the forum and stick to the fish, hey?

Thanks,

Faewyn, Mouse, Lilli and Callatya

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, i get carried away with the topic.

Just a quick info in regards to fastway. I posted 2 giants to my customers to Brisbane from Melbourne 2 days ago. Fishes was shipped no problem at all. In fact, its funny to see the tracking msg in the net---> Emergency (FISH ASAP). They later changed that to Perishables after it was delivered So basicly i could confirm that postage to Sydney, Brisbane, Goldcoast and Adelaide is not a problem for fastway. I also ask what "livestock" means to fastway. They told me its basicly a big walking and dangerous animal. Yup funny explanation. I supposed fish not walking :wub:

Edited by Erren

yeah, that would be difficult to explain whether it is a livestock under fastway term or not :wub:

Any suggestion that fastways won't ship fish is completely without basis, BTW. For 4 or so years now we've been sending big white boxes all around the country with "live tropical fish, handle with care, rush, urgent" emblazoned all over them. Never ever ever has anyone had a courier go "what the hell? we don't handle live fish!". Thanks for the update Erren. I'm sure our Melbourne crew will be thrilled at finally NOT being restricted to posting fish for sale that are "pick up only" :wub:

for AAE - fish are perishable, not livestock. One young AAE staff member was surprised at this - his supervisor explained "because they don't breath air"....long pause....blush...."well, you know what I mean!" :wub:

Sign in to follow this