Jump to content

The New 4' Setup


Callatya
 Share

Recommended Posts

Posted Image

That is the tank as it stands now. I have a big lot of setup photos, but I haven't had a chance to edit them down yet, and I'm dying to upload something to show everyone!

I couldn't have done this tank by myself, so many people were involved! The stand was build by Michael (who breeds cichlids but refuses to come play with us on here :lol:) and the tank was found by Strange1 and was sold by the nice fellow at Campbelltown. The filter that will go on it came from Sin, as did the banana lilies. The light is from Adam at Equarium and for some reason has a purple and green tint tube in there *puzzled* The clown loaches and val are from Phil, one of the kuhlies is from Sin, and the wilds are from Gav at BexleyBettas. Phew! What a mouthful! Did I miss anyone?

Ohh yes! the barracks are holding a fish from someone at Aussiebettas, and 2 from Lily and Naiyana, All stunning! (and yeah, i'm getting much bigger barracks :))

It still looks so naked! I bought $10 worth of plants on Tuesday (but the guy tossed in two extra bunches... i think he could count and was just being nice :drool:) and that has fleshed it out a little, but i need to find me a big hunk of tree root so all the fish can have their own caves. The bettas are doing ok, they are comfy enough pretending to be wood, but the loaches are all trying to wedge under the one cave with two B.falx and all the kuhli's sand from their breeding hollow.

Plans are to get 4 more small clown loaches, a school of harlequins and some giant danios (or some type of danio anyway, I'm thinking maybe Borneo Danios instead) and maybe a hillstream or 2 as algae control.

I've found myself just sitting and watching it. It has been So LONG since I have just sat and stared at a tank :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The elodea is iffy, I imagine it'll either adjust or die, but the plant choices were limited and as it is, I think the ferny one is technically a bog plant :( I'm trying to suck as much of the cycling waste out of the system with the plants as I can, to try to prevent the algae outbreaks. Unfortunately we are already in the brown algae stage, and I fear green is coming soon too :( I didn't have enough plants. Ahhh well, its not too bad :) Lighting is a 4' AquaOne reflector with the stock tubes in it, one green-tint, one purple-tint, both 10000K (i think) New filter is hooked up, ViaAqua650Pro. My goodness does that thing have grunt! The poor bettas were plastered to the side of the baracks when I first started it. The clownies were caught making that clicky noise the other night, it was very exciting!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The tank looks Great Abbey, i wish i could get mine to look like yours, i bought some elodea a week ago and it has since died :) , you seem to have had better luck!!! What type of substrate are you using? and have you used any ferts? All The Best, Daniel congrats on the "clicking"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I miss is terribly atm <_< I'm using Sydne Sand from bunnings, its just beach sand. Fully washed and about 3-4cm deep. the light is about 1.6wpg, which i think is its savng grace, as sand is iffy for stem plants. it has had one dose of Flourish and Flourish Iron just to give it a kick. It'll b getting more whn get home but i didn't want it to get an algal bloom while i was gone so its runnng on minumal food. Elodea is moody at best in heated tanks, its really a coldwater plant, so maybe try something that comes from a heated tank. Its a it more outlay, but go for something with roots, they are much easier and harder to kill :drool:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks great, already.

Will the elodea and val enjoy a heated tank?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Val in my brother's goldfish tank does much better then the one in my heated tank but it still survives.

Cool tank, looks like my 3' but without a massive pirate ship in the middle <_< .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I sieved the sand two nights ago, pulled out hundreds! Java fern WAS growing back nicely, but then i let it get sunburnt :) some is alright, but some is just writen off :( The tubes I was using are just the ones that came with the light, one green white and one daylight/purple white (veeeery slightly purple, not marine purple) I'm going to swap one out for a household white and one for an Aquaglo, but they are a bit pricey just now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sand is run of the mill Sydney White, and I just mix it through a little every few weeks. I think having the kuhlies and the BNs helps too, it doesn't get much of a chance to grow anything. I also have a filter that is a bit more hefty than it needs to be, and while it doesn't get ALL of the BN poo (they are little poo machines!) it does make sure it shifts around a bit so it doesn't sink down under the top layer. Dosing *cough* hmmm. :please: I'm not doing macros, just using standard Flourish and Flourish Iron every 3 weeks or so. I have no test kits so I'm trying not to play around too much, and am just dosing the iron when the java ferns say so. ta for the site, I'll go have a squiz!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...