Howdy.

Leema

Hey there. I'm Lee. I was directed here by Najrick... Thank-you! ;) I have 4 tanks and a pond. 5ft (300l): harlequin rasboras, blue rams, gold rams, siamese algae eater, clown loaches, bristlenose catfish. 3ft (200l): sailfin mollies, black widow tetras, bristlenose catfish, bronze corydoras. pond (200l): fantail goldfish, white cloud minnows, zebra danio, leopard danio. Jebo 338 (38l): sailfin mollies, bristlenose catfish. fry tank (18l): sailfin mollies, bristlenose catfish. Looks like I'm sailfin molly mad, but I just had the room to spread out my fry. :) The Jebo will have hastatus cories eventually, the 3ft will house all the sailfins, the pond will have hillstream loaches and the 5ft might get some ember tetras. I would like to start up breeding bettas - which is the main reason for me joining up to this forum, as there seems to be quite a betta focus here. ;) Aside from fish, I'm dog mad. I own a border terrier, and plan to breed them one day. I'm interested in all faucets of the dog world, but mostly breeding and obedience. I hope that's enough to be 'accepted'. :) See yah around! ;) EDITED TO ADD: I'm in South Australia, and am very interested to meet people who fish keep in SA, particularly those who are breeding bettas. ;)

Hi there Lee good to see another South Aussie here also :) You sure do have a lot of fish ;) and I'm glad to know that we can have White Clouds outside in ponds, as I've been contemplating that for a while now ;) I'm also a big dog fan, hopefully soon I'll be getting my first Samoyed and then plan on breeding them to :) Jess (Faewyn) the other South Aussie here, should be popping by soon to ;)

Hey Lee ;) Welcome to AusAqua ;) Wow another South Aussie! *Pushes Robbie out the way now we have company* You have so many fish!! and so many tanks! where have you been hiding all this time? This forum is is betta mad, but we do focus on tropical fish here too! Don't worry, I will make sure you won't kick out you current fishies in favour of bettas :) Jess

Thanks for your welcomes! :D

Robbies - white clouds love the pond! My only complaint is that they're really hard to spot in there. However, they've gone an absolutely beautiful colour out there (I had some of them inside initially). So they must like it! :eek: I guess they were also kept in a tropical tank inside, so that might also be a cause for their change in colouration.

The real test will be the hillstream loaches. I really want to try them and see if I can make them work out there! I'd probably have to bring them in in summer, though... Set up another tank. :eek:

I'm a big fan of http://www.dolforums.com.au/ . ;) My parents have a Chow Chow (and he was my childhood dog). Whenever I meet a samoyed, I can't help but see the resembelence in personality between the spitzes. They're aloof snobiness is somehow appealing. :eek:

I'm gathering from your name that you either breed bettas or are a betta fan? Do you have piccies of your stock? Own any other fishies?

faewyn - I've suddenly found all these Aussie forums! :D Not that I'm complaining. I'm trying to sort them out and decide which ones to stick around on. I've only been into aquariums for about 4 years, too - my pond and 5fter came in the last few months. :)

What fish do you keep, faewyn?

Thanks again for the welcomes. ^_^

Hey there Lee ^_^ Gee, 2 Daniels, and now a Leema and a Leela :eek: this is gunna get confusing! I *love* sailfins, but i've never had much success with mollies. I had two balloons early on (2' tank, so i went dwarfy) but they fell to the tank o' death :eek: I'd love to try again, but I've cut my tanks down and er, they aren't going to fit into my asian theme :eek:

faewyn - I've suddenly found all these Aussie forums! :) Not that I'm complaining. I'm trying to sort them out and decide which ones to stick around on. I've only been into aquariums for about 4 years, too - my pond and 5fter came in the last few months. :eek:

What fish do you keep, faewyn?

Thanks again for the welcomes.  :eek:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm lets see.. *looks in tanks*

I keep:

Bristlenose catfish (1 almost mature pair :eek: )

Kribensis and Kribensis "matadi"

Blue Rams

Whiteclouds

Cories (bronze, albino and peppered)

Some Guppies

Kuhli loaches

Black Widow Tetras

Mollies (balloon)

Killifish - Blue gularis and Golden Panchax

Betta splendens

Betta channoides

Betta coccina

Tomorrow I am out and about to looking for dwarf cichlids and a female for my male kribensis as the female went MIA 2 weeks ago and she left some fry behind.

I did a major shuffle of my fish room 2 months ago I only have 4 x 2fts and 1x 4ft set up now, with a whole heap of empty tanks outside ^_^

Calla - I'm not too good with mollies either! I managed to keep one girl alive long enough to get some fry, and now I'm swimming in them! I've only got two adults, and they're in seperate tanks, as the girl really got hassled by the boy... The rest are fry. I think the main issue is that they're often bred in salt water, and then I bring them home to my fresh water. :eek: I'm really happy with the number of fry I have - I'm hoping to get some hardier molly lines going. Hope hope hope. faewyn - Except for your kribs and bettas, very similar to what I have or have had at some time. :eek: Do you breed your bettas, or just love 'em? :eek: Do you have some piccies?

Hi Lee, Great to see another SA member... keeps faewyn from having to keep company with JUST robbie.. :eek: :eek: Dog fan too hey? I'd love to have a samoyed but all that combing would drive me bonkers! I don't even brush my own hair! Have you checked out the ice-cream mastiff (neopolitan mastiff)? I've recently decided that's the dog for me. No brushing of hair, needs as much exercise as me (none!) mega sook and looks like a dog that will sit on you all at once! Catch you around Lee.

Thanks for the further welcomes. :eek: Mishy, I love Neos. Their colour and massive-ness is awesome. However, it makes me sad that they only live such a short amount of time. :eek: That's the thing that disturbs me most with large breeds.

Hi Lee and welcome to AusAqua. I love big dogs but my husband doesn't like big dogs because they leave big "messes". We have a tan chihuahua called "chino" beause he is kind of coffe coloured with a hint of milk. He has the most perfect colouring you have ever seen. He has cream eyebrows and white tipped paws. It's so cute. I will have to post a photo one of these days.

yep, I do breed and keep bettas :D Got a spawn between two Royal Blue Super Delta siblings a week ago, so should be good once they grow up

Other fish I have right now are just the goldies in the outdoor pond, and 3 peppered Cories. Did have some Black Widows, but the tank whent really bad and they all died I would like to get sum Khuli loaches, so as soon as my 3ft is empty of bottled male bettas I can set that up as a proper (non-female bettas :) ) commy tank.

Mishy, you don't brush your hair :welcome: I've lived with long haired dogs all my life (first dog was a rough Collie, who we had with a cream Chihuahua called Mickey and now we have a runty Pomeranian) so I know how much they need to be groomed (mind you, they're lucky if they get brush once a month :) kinda like my water changes :cheer: )

And yes, this is one of (if not) the best forums around for fish, and the ppl here are a friendly enough bunch (just don't give Mishy your ph number, otherwise late night calls should be expected :lol: ) :D

oi!! Robbie I resent that! You're a pot calling a kettle black because you send weird sms's too... And I don't brush my hair because in the mornings I can hardly get myself to the bathroom and well.. with hair like mine, it kinda just falls into place, or I say I'm following the latest trend ('just out of bed organised mess')

faewyn - Except for your kribs and bettas, very similar to what I have or have had at some time. :welcome:

Do you breed your bettas, or just love 'em? :) Do you have some piccies?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Faewyn? :)

:cheer: I know things are easy to miss on forums. :lol:

I get distracted easily :blush: I used to breed bettas, not very well. My water up here is very hard and I had a hard time. I bought a RO unit around may/june last year and keeping fish you like a lower pH and soft water are thriving now. Plus breeding bettas with high standards is a challenge, one I didn't get much out of personally. I breed the B. channoides, well they bred by themselves. If you want some, your welcome to a pair/trio as I need the room! All I am asking for them, is that have their own small tank ;) Jess

Water issuses are worrying, Jess. ;) I hope I can have better (ha, almost wrote 'betta') luck than you. I guess I like the challenge of breeding better fish - just like dogs. ;) I absolutely love crowntails. For the channoides, I'll have to look into. It might be a good starter for me, seeing that you managed to breed 'em. :blush: Are they pretty much the same in conditions/temperment as ... erm... fancy bettas? In my Jebo that I want to put hastatus cories in, I've been looking for kind of a 'centre focus' fish... However, of course, then it wouldn't be their own tank. But I am interested, because I'd like to try my luck before forking out a bit to get some good crowns here from... elsewhere. So I will do a bit of research and let you know. ;)

Jess's Channoides are amazing. the red on them when they're in full colour is really nice. They just need a slightly more acidic water than normal bettas, that's right Jess? and Mishy dear, weird sms's should be expected from me :blush: but then again, so are the late night calls from you, aint they fun ;) ;) ;)

Leema, You should be right, the main trouble was when the fry were really young. Plus it's coming on winter and the water is generally healthy, unlike summer. I prefer not to use chemicals to lower pH, and my water has low KH too ;) You and Robbie would get your water from a difference place then me I think? My water comes from Hope Valley Resevoir. I want some C. hastatus too! But I might have to trek to Seaview for them.. which I am going past on the way to Ikea next week :blush: They might have me some A. cacatuoides there at the same time.: cheer: ;) Robbie, if you want some channoides, you are most welcome to a pair, I did offer you ages ago, but didn't follow it up with you ;)

I'm not really sure where my water comes from... Hmmm... Hastatus are adorable! Seaview has had me on the list for ages. I think their supplier is ... not supplying. If you do see some there, please tell me, and I'll yell at them for not contacting me. :)

OMG leema... you just missed out! Over here in Vic they had a school of them at my favourite aquarium. They didn't do much for me and would've been eaten in a second. So now the aquarium doesn't order them anymore....

Archived