Info For Newbies

An manager of a local pet shop had a pair of betta in approx 500mL of water. The female was a blue white grizzled (unsure of tail type due to extensive damage) and the male was a gorgeous DRCT platinum cambodian. There were several isuues with the setup, female far too small for the chosen male, no heater, tank too small, also no knowledge whatsoever on how to raise the fry etc. The male was having a lovely time chasing the female and building a bubblenest. Despite the conditions provided, I was glad to see the manager's enthusiasm to learn. I offered the manager some helpful websites like bettatalk and stuff plus discussed some of my breeding experiences but beyond that I couldn't offer much help. Same goes for a couple other people who have asked me how do you breed bettas? Anyway just wanted your opinion on what would be the best thing to do?

perhaps a 'how to' leaflet? I know of one that was designed for lfs, but I think it's more along the lines of a care sheet than breeding. Either Lisa or Abbey will be able to give a bit more info on it than me though *passes the ball*

The care sheet should be available here in PDF form for people to download soon. Its basic care though really, not breeding. There are also a few articles in the works, not sure if one is about breeding or not. There is also an amazing tail types guide coming that will knock your socks off ... but no more details, it will ruin the surprise! Why not give them the aaq address so they can look at the breeding posts and set ups of other Australians?

Lisa I already have a basic tail types guide, I use it when describing fish to LFS that don't know what I'm talking about.

It's very simple, it's quite effective for people who find it difficult to understand even with pics of real fish because there is no colour or variation in body structure to confuse things.

Of course, it doesn't go into more complex fin types like DTCT, DTPK, CTPK, DRCT, DDRCT, DRCTDTHMPK!!! or female tail types idetification, just your bare bones basics for beginners.

Posted Image

There is also a fish care guide available via the ABC which is RSPCA approved.

I got all my info for my first spawn from Betta talk, fantasic website, I still use it as a reference guide sometimes.

Archived