Sterilization.

marc

Its been only four months since I put the fish room together and I am noticing more and more out breaks of the wooly fungas pathogen occuring now that everything is starting to age, . I have strict quarantine and daily hygine guidelines that i follow and yet it seems that cotton wool fungas on the spent males and females fins gills and damaged parts is occuring far too often. It is more of a hinderance as it take so long for the fish to recover( 6 weeks for my CT male). I would like to introduce a quarterly mop out session for the spawn tanks and holding tanks . In the past I have used very hot water to slosh around the tanks. I know that this only has limited practical result ie wash and rinse. What chemical sterilization method will be most effective. I use to use potassium permangenate or condies crystals when I was a kid is this an effective form of chemical steralant.

I have used a number of methods to sterilize tanks and have had good results with all of them. If I am in a hurry I use a strong salt solution in very hot water, let it sit for about 15 minutes then rinse and refill - be careful when using on glass tanks, glass can crack if the water is too hot. Potassium permanganate ( I have a kilo of the stuff) it oxidizes anything it touchs, guaranteed to kill almost all pathogens. Once the solution turns brown I rinse the container really well with salt water then refill it. The problem with this product is that it can stain, and you should not get it on your skin. It can be hard to get and it is expensive. I had to get mine in 500gm lots at a cost of about $80.00 each, but my vet ordered two for me and I didn't have the heart to leave him stuck with one, especially as he isn't a horse vet and so doesn't have a lot of use for it. :lol: My favorite is the trusty bleach. I soak the container in it for about 30 minutes, rinse with salt water then leave to dry in the sun for a day. This method combines three elements - chemical sterilization (chlorine), strong salt solution (a more natural chemical) and UV sterilization which also helps to break down the chlorine.

We use betadine as a net dip and tank scrub. You can buy 500ml bottles from the Chemist. The net dip solution should be changed when the colour fades. It doesn't seem to be harmful to the fish and doesn't have the horrible bleach smell. Also good for treating cuts and scratches on the rest of the household! (especially any cuts that have some into contact with fish water) We use the betadine scrub in the dishwasher when washing jars and beanie boxes (only use a VERY little as it FOAMS!!) Cheers, J

Wow . that is weired. I was just off to the chemist today to get something for my little finger .I have a real beauty at presant my finger got a splinter and turned into a big red football. It is so hard to keep it dry and out of fish water. I will try some Betadine it sounds great .... It won't sting to bad will it ?? :poke:

I use it when my horses have had hoof injuries - it doesn't sting, so they don't kick you. Trust me - you don't want to put a stinging substance any where near the feet of a 500kg horse! Especially if you are holding onto the foot. Never thought to use it on the fish though - thanks JL

Archived