100,000 Pound (uk $) Fish!

Mango4Jade

Funny that she won though, her pattern looks unbalanced to me - it all seems to be down one side, not symmetrical like the Japanese like (or they did like, back when I was into koi). Her head looks a bit pink/flesh coloured too, which is a flaw. Maybe it's just the photo, or the angle of the photo.

She is still a gorgeous fish of course, but it's like any animal, a gorgeous fish may not be a great show specimen. Guess this just shows that charisma must count for a lot, and/or I have no eye for show quality!!

I thought the white ones with the round red spot on their head were the most desired koi.  What were they called again?

I read they were worth a small fortune...or a big one depending on how perfect the red spot is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They are called Tancho or Tancho Kohaku :lookaround:

Im in love with this species, but you will usually only get 0-5% tanchos in a Kohaku Spawn over a few 100,000 fish. Quite hard to get and when avaible...it will be very pricey.

Here are some pics of some Tanchos.

1. Traditional Tancho

Posted Image

2. Tancho Showa

Posted Image

3. Tancho Sanke

Posted Image

[images from Dekoi.info and Akakoi.com]

Tancho! That's the one. I didn't realise how difficult they were to spawn. Don't they breed true? I assumed they were similar to red cap goldfish genetics. Still a bit much for a fish, you could buy a flock of black cockatoos for the price I've seen a single koi sell for overseas. Mmmm red tailed black cockatoos....now there's a hobby I'd like to sink my teeth into :lookaround: .

as best I can tell the patterns are quite random. They are not like betta colour strains for example. A lot depends on genotype. By crossing 2 showas you'e going to get a proportion of showas, but the quality of the pattern is a lottery.

Archived