Lighting

After doing a bit of reading on lights I went looking at lunch time to see what was available. The tank I am setting up is one of those that has everything in the lid so it is only possible to have 2 light bulbs in it. Obviously they are going to be 20w each which means I will have 40w for 75 litres. What would be the best combination of bulbs to get for plants that require medium lighting. Atm I have an Aqua-Glow and something else that I can't remember. I would like to have hygro, Blue stricta, wisteria, those sort of plants.

Is this that all in one tank sharon? or the one with the clown loaches? I think MH is deffenetly the best way to go, and tanks with that look aewsome with the clear water and the ripples it makes on the bottom, its like sunlight :) i have 4 fluros on my planted tank. One double 4ft and 2 double tubed 2ft units. It grows the plants well, but i dont like the colour.

Those MH would have to make my tank look like the best tank in the world for me to pay those sort of $$$$ :) It's the all in one tank Phil. I'm buying some more guppies tomorrow and by the time they come out of qt the tank should be ready. I have been thinking of moving it upstairs so now that I have to take it all apart it'll be a good time to move it.

MH do make them look fantastic, but it's not in everyone's budget, certainly not mine!! You can use the AquaGlo if you have it already, and perhaps get a PowerGlo for it as well. You can always upgrade the AquaGlo if you need too. That should be fine for the plants you said you want in it but without spending too much.

Globes have a 'use by' date. Most it is only a year and they are recomended to be replaced. Perhaps it is to get us to buy more but when I replace mine, usually 2 or 3 yrs, the plants grow much better. Picked up a MH second hand 150watts for the saltwater and everything started to grow on the live rock and the tank looks fantastic.

Archived