SheVibes

Possible fin rot on betta

Hello everyone..  

This is my boy that I've had for about two years. I've never had any issues with him and I keep up with his tank's water quality. Unfortunately with covid and my line of work I was working for about 2 weeks straight. I did my weekly water change when I was able to but but I was not able to thoroughly check up on him as often as I like to. He is in a 15g with about 5 otocinclus catfish. I don't remember the exact parameters when I did the water change but I believe there was a slight increase in the ammonia (possibly from my husband adding 2 of the otos earlier that week). I realized he was insanely lethargic when I fed him one day and upon further inspection I saw his fins were in bad shape. Before anything I interrogated my husband because he was in charge of the feeding that particular week lol but I immediately took a better look at the otos and they seemed fine so I moves the betta to my hospital tank and I'm at the tail end of a Furan treatment. Now, he never lost his appetite but he would lay at the bottom and I'd see his eyes fix on me when I went to check on him (broke my heart) and he wouldn't move. Luckily he seems a lot more active throughout the day and doesn't just lay at the bottom anymore. My concern is that although I have dealt with fin rot once in the past, this seems different.. the fins seem almost pinched. And I don't mean clamped.. I mean literally pinched at the tips. They're perky compared to his first day in the h.t but I'm concerned its something else. I'd also like advice on whether I should take any other steps with the 15g and otos before he is reintroduced after healing. I'll include some photos.. the one with flash was when I first moved him over, the darker one is of his fins now.. Any information and/or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

20201202_124303.jpg

VideoCapture_20201128-234045.jpg

As far as I can tell from the photos you’re probably correct in your assessment of fin rot. He may also have velvet but I’d need a much closer photo particularly around the head. I honestly can’t remember if Furan also treats velvet but if it doesn’t you would want to give the poor guy a little rest for at least a week before starting on more medications. Just so his organs can recover a bit. Not losing his appetite is a good sign. Velvet requires light thrive so I would cover his tank completely with a towel making it’s a total blackout in there. This will also help him sleep and rest. It’s fine to unwrap and check on him as many times as you like. Just cover up again. Try to remove poop as quickly as possible. Just suck it out with a turkey baster or similar. Uneaten food should be removed immediately. I’d watch him while he eats and remove anything still left after 5-10 minutes. Let us know how he gets on.