Sign in to follow this  
Em

Ants!

With all of this humid weather and rain I've noticed that hundreds of ants have invaded my fish room. Beanie boxes, spawning tanks and the like. It's becoming really annoying because I don't want to put AntRid or anything like that down because if they are poisoned and fall into my betta water it'll affect them too. This morning they went for my spawning tank with daddy tending his nest, he's moved them all under the nest now and I've put a line of petrolium jelly around the top of the tank (outside) so it's a barrier to stop them coming in. Ideas? I don't want to vaseline every single betta container!

wait till they start heading for your fish food :) I have some of those 'pop' lid type containers of food.. (supposedly so you don't over feed..doesn't work though!) and the slight gap between the hinges is enough to let the little menaces in! :)

I know what that's like Mouse, I had to throw out a container of betta food cause there was almost as many ants AS food. Grr to ants!!

If you put the little fipronil baits down far from the fishroom, they should (i think?) die before they ever reach the tanks. I have ant sand outside, and it look only 30 mins to have every last ant drop dead. I had little trails of dead ants in the loungeroom, they never made it to the fish. I reckon if you did it far enough away that you should be right. Do you know where the nest is?

Worst is when they are in your underwear draw eating the silcone stuff off your strapless bras.

Worst is when they are in your underwear draw eating the silcone stuff off your strapless bras.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:):shifty:

I came home tonight to find one of my little darlings must have been playing touchies with sticky hands & my computer and desk is now swarming with ants. I have sprayed and sprayed and squished and now its all just so horrible (and ant stinky) that I'm going to bed! :)

My Nana used to put talcum powder down as an ant barrier. Not particularly aesthetic but it did seem to work :shifty:

Ok being an ex pest controller let me fill you in a bit the sand will work on brown ants and outside ants only the little black we all seem to have at the moment live in the frame work of our homes in the joins in the timbers and don't go outside unless it is really dry these become really prevelent in wet periods the only cheap baits that work on them are the black ones from the supermarkets but you have to put a drop of honey on the edge to attract them to it this is why they eat silicon as it is sweet just like honey. All baits are poisonous to fish so be ware the reason why powder works is because it masks there scent trails so they con no longer find their way. I don't mind the black ones so much as they also attack termites so they are good to have around as long as they are not everywhere and into things they shouldn't be. Ants are a good indication of wet periods ahead and can become numerous a monthe before rain. So hope this helps.

feed em to your bettas I know rainbows love em

I agree, ants are excellent food - and they are free!

Sign in to follow this