shadoh

Wild b.Splendens Male x Feral b.Splendens Female

Something I have wanted to try for some time after getting my hands on some feral NT splendens.  It has been some time since I have had a spawn and want this to be a success!

Male:
41521015_2216839258389013_55618285234185

Female:
Wild8_zpsobuyrlko.jpg

Set up the pair on 22/10/18
Switched to sibling sister on 24/10/18 (1st female not interested in male)
Released female on 25/10/18
Spawned on or around 26/10/18
Eggs currently hatching 27/10/18

Edited by shadoh
stray HTML code

I might actually set up a feral x feral spawn as well and compare the offspring...

Awesome project! I really do love the look of wild splendens. Haven’t ever seen a longfin halfmoon with that colouring. Surely someone must have tried it by now. 

There was someone in the US who did an Imbellis x HM line - the resulting fish were incredible.  The wild look head and body with HM finnage and Imbellis colouring.  The Imbellis red caudal crescent looks amazing on a HM

Removed the male this morning.
Fry had first feed of Vinegar Eels
Setting up BBS hatchery in the morning

I didn’t have vinegar eels. It was probably a mistake. I will have to get myself more organised for the next spawn. 

Moved the fry onto BBS today.  Can I just say, these are the smallest damn fry I have EVER had!  One week old and only just now close to normal newly hatched fry.  I actually thought I had lost the entire spawn once they became free swimming.  I still have no idea as to what numbers I have at the moment.

:brownorum:

Betta emoji!! I’d forgotten about them! 

Interesting that the fry are smaller. Good luck with the fry numbers. Got some green water for them?

• Like 1

Looking like I have between 25 - 30 of these. Thinking about re-spawning the male with a larger female this time. I fed them on Vinegar eels until big enough for BBS. They seem happy enough for the BBS now. 

HMs are not on my immediate radar.  Next spawns will be CT, VT and the first stages of CTPK line.  

I want to see the results of the Splendens x Ferals before I look at potentially crossing out to HM.  I find the ferals have a darker body and more spread iridescence - something I'd want to pass on to a HM (if that is what I am planning ;) )

:veiltail:

On 11/15/2018 at 3:08 PM, shadoh said:

HMs are not on my immediate radar.  Next spawns will be CT, VT and the first stages of CTPK line.  

Yay for crown tails. Need more self-bred crowntails in the shows. 

I figure why not since I am not on Brisbane town water which thins out CT rays BIG TIME.  I am on the same water here that Paul Busman was on when he was breeding his Red CTs, so I know they do well in the local Redlands City water (we get out water from Stradbroke Island, not the dams that supply Brissie).  I'm excited to see how they go.  I tried breeding CTs a few times before when I was in Brisbane and each time ended up with dis-proportionally more females than males (2 x spawns all female and 1 x spawn 3 x male, the rest female). 

Not Happy Jan!  Looks like I overfed this batch!  Most have swim bladder probs.  I will starve them for a couple of days and see how they go.

Quick update on these guys. I'm struggling a little with them having swim bladder issues. Have moved them into a larger tank and increased the number of waterchanges and dropped amount of food. 

Here is a video of them when I was transferring them... 

:HMplakat: