Sign in to follow this  
Trilobite

Outside experiment HM multi

Its so hot here (41) so I decided to try something Ive always wanted to do, spawn and raise bettas outside

I chose a pair that I ddnt mind if I lost, basically the male was a last resort for my melano line if everything else failed and the female... I actually dont even know how I ended up with her, I have a feeling shes a sibling cull that snuck in when I moved places, but I wasnt too happy to see her lol

If I get melano and hmpk we will know for sure whether shes a sib or not

Heres the parents

Male fell victim to horrid fin curling making him an ugly mess but heres a pic of him before the curl took him over completely

_DSC0954_zpsybqdu2zs.jpg

and girl

_DSC1595_zpscyxx5gmg.jpg

They are basically in a 30 l tub sitting outside and getting a few bbs each day

heres where they live

_DSC1581_zps6yexcap6.jpg

_DSC1589_zpswgawqjov.jpg

_DSC1588_zpsqvg8u43q.jpg

I planned to leave dad in with the fry but he started stealing all the fry food for himself so Ive taken him  out. Fry have started growing much better as a result. There doesnt seem to be as many as I stared with (maybe ~30 left) but they are about 10 days old and they seem to be going strong. These guys are quite a bit smaller than my inside spawns who are all the same age so I dunno whether its beause they are exposed to the elements or because dad stole most of their food... probably a combo of both 

Will be interesting to see what happens, they dont seem to be phased by the temp drops at night so hopefully thats a good sign

I'd love to try that too but gets too cold outside here. Awww poor girl LOL. Look forward to updates.

Girly died :( but babies are still alive, still not as big as the insiders but heres  what they are lookin like

_DSC2151_zpshaj4mgt7.jpg

_DSC2148_zpskpgl6oac.jpg

_DSC1979_zpsq4imeqi6.jpg

Plants and algae are growing well in the tub, hopefully theres some small creatures in there for the fry to eat

_DSC1976_zpswnm9qvdz.jpg

I just cant believe they are still alive lol, Their tub is now a thick mass of plants and algae and I cant see the bottom anymore lol. But theyve had a bit of a growth spurt so I caught what I could find and took some picks. They are on dry food now but still only once a day

_DSC2241_zpsdlh0it1s.jpg

_DSC2237_zpsqn0hwkl8.jpg

_DSC2229_zpshrcyeqoz.jpg

_DSC2218_zps9o6ujemj.jpg

• Like 1

This tank turned into pretty much a solid mat of hair algae lol... so after pulling out handfulls I found quite a bit of baby growth had been happening while I couldnt see them.

I caught the 2 biggest, 2 of who are in the last post

Didnt expect this boy from this spawn lol but I wont complain. Hes such a bully though and as soon as I caught them in the little jar he got to work chasing his sister if she got in his way...hes going to need to join the big kid tub to be put in his place soon I reckon

_DSC2681_zpsflv7inpf.jpg

_DSC2687_zpsetab6wgz.jpg

She made the mistake of going to the same corner he wanted to go to,,,

_DSC2699_zpstkdbu9bs.jpg

And heres little sister

_DSC2697_zpsjthl7oau.jpg

Im pretty excited to see what else is hiding in the tub now and cant wait for jarring

Ugh fin curl!! :-( Im thinking it might be genetic since the father was heavily curled and my water is so soft (pH 6.4, gh 3, kh 3)  plus my other hm arent curly

Ive jarred the big male and put him in sunlight with some ial to see if that helps, fingers crossed but my hopes arent high

_DSC1482_zpskf9qnsgb.jpg

_DSC1478_zpshdkkxjqp.jpg

_DSC1463_zps8eptwtfy.jpg

This spawn has also been pulled inside, I might put them back outside when I get back if its still warm enough

Still gorgeous. I used to breed CT but my waters hard so always got fin curling. Great pets. :)

Yeah hes got personality for days lol, nothing phases him and only a few mins after being jarred he was flaring at everything and building his nest

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this