shadoh

Marble x Solid

When I first started breeding marbles, I found that although I had a lot that were stunning, I would always end up with a large percentage of colourless cellophane fish.  Although I actually like the look of a clean cellophane (shhhh), they are hard to offload to someone who is looking for a colourful pet.  After speaking to some Thai breeders, I learnt that you get a smaller percentage of fish that cello out if you breed marble to a solid colour.  By then, I had moved on to solid coloured fish and never had a chance to try this out..........until now!

I currently have a spawn of Marble x Solid Orange growing out and am attempting a "Koi" x Solid Red spawn.  It will be interesting to compare to previous efforts.

Has anyone else had much experience with marble spawns?
What have you found?

Jarrod

Interesting. As you know I'm doing marble in my line & have mainly turquoise/blue, grizzle & pastel. What colours did you start with Jarrod?

With previous spawns? I've had blue grizzle x blue marble and got a couple of solids, some marbles, a couple of grizzled, butterflies, pastels, cambodians and cellos. The grizzles, a solid, 2 marbles and the pastels were the only ones that didn't cello out. 

Yellow Koi pairing resulted in mainly cello fish

Orange marble spawn was a wildcard and gave lots of solids and multicolours and only a few marbles and grizzles. 

Copper Marble spawn gave a lot of colourless fish with a metallic layer on top. My shiny cellos. 

Red marble spawn gave me cellos. A couple had a black spot here or there. Some started out with red colouring, but that went as they matured. 

Jarrod

I have a current spawn that is marble to solid although the marble had lost most of his pattern. The result is a lot of solids, a small number of bicolours and only a few cellos. No good marbles at all. But I guess the father didn't retain his marble pattern either. 

Results of mine so far (7 weeks) are similar - a lot of solids, some bicolours and a lot with black banding to their fins (too thin to refer as butterfly)

no cellophane and no marble to speak of.

Will see whether the marbling will kick in after a few more weeks

Jarrod

:doubletail:

I've done a couple marble x solids and ended up with little to no cello. But all the marbles I've played with have been full mask so dunno if that has anything to do with it. i wonder if non irid colours would go cello easier since the marble gene doesn't need to work on the irid layer?

In my melano x marble I got about 80% marble and 20% solid. But most of the marbles were boring and were solid with just a white patch on their backs. There were only a few "good" marbles

That being said i recently also did a marble x marble with no cellos, 100% marble though.

Ive got a marble x solid spawn going at the moment (were also the result from a marble x solid spawn) so will be interesting to see what pops up in f2