shadoh

Marble Show Plakat x Orange Show Plakat

I've been sitting on these for a few days before starting a spawn log.

Male:

DSC_8285_20150715164214705_2015072123295

Female:

IMG_10506187066874_zpsmptaopir.jpeg

Introduced - Friday 17th July
Spawned Sunday - 19th July
Hatched - 20th July
Free Swimming - 22nd July
Female removed Sunday 20th July
Male removed Wednesday 22nd July
First food - Microworms Fed 4 times a day from 22nd July
Started raising water level 1.25lt a day from Thursday 23rd July

Saturday 25th July set up Brine Shrimp Hatchery

I thought the spawn was a failure at first, as I had around 170 fry fall dead from the nest after hatching. The male tried to replace them into the nest and they would fall lifeless back to the floor.  I closed the fishroom door in disappointment with intentions of stripping the tank out and setting up a new spawn.

DSC_8305_zpszhiz4dgx.jpg

The next day, I noticed the male fussing over a new nest...

DSC_8315_20150721145556687_zpskigo2ptk.j

I looked closer, and saw tails!!!

DSC_8376_20150722174245683_zps78tcufhv.j

Edited by shadoh
fixed topic title

A week old today.
Tank is 3/4 full
First feed of BBS this morning.  They attacked it hungrily!

• Like 1

Cut back a little on the quantity each feed. They are spending too much time on the bottom of the tank for my liking.  Can see them swimming from the other side of the room, so must be growing :D

Jarrod

Ooh...Jaylee...666 posts :P lolololol

Looks like I have between 20 and 30 left. 

Jarrod 

• Like 1

I was looking into the tank yesterday wondering why fry numbers had dwindled, then I saw movement in the far corner of the tank that was too large for a 2 week old betta. I looked closer and couldn't believe it - damselfly larve! I've lost an entire spawn to these critters in the past, so ripped them straight out!!!!

DSC_8466_20150803150714552.jpg

DSC_8468_20150803150640245.jpg

Was seeing A LOT of belly sliders.  As their swim bladders are still developing, I decided to not feed them for a day, 1 small feed the next, 2 the following, then back up to 3 - 4 feeds a day at a greatly reduced amount.  This reduces the size of their bellies and allows space for swim bladders to develop normally.  I am seeing results already with 90% of the fry swimming at all levels of the tank this morning.  A few are tail heavy, but it is an improvement to seeing them scooting across the tank floor 24/7.  Hopefully they won't have missing ventrals.

Jarrod

Edited by shadoh
Spelling

Hmmm...Just realised I stuffed up the topic title on this thread - Sire is a Marble, not a Dragon...lol

I was starting to worry about ventrals again - I always do and just when I convince myself that my luck has run out and I have a ventralless spawn, I start seeing them *lol*  I'm glad this time didn't disappoint.  I am still sure I will have a few without - they spent an awful long time on the floor of the tank the first few weeks.

As my fry are starting to colour up a bit more, I'm seeing a lot more red coming through.  Whether that will stay or become red loss, time will only tell.  Also seeing some blue irids on some and some black.  Funny really, as whenever I have bred any black fish, the black pigment usually doesn't show until the fry are much older - I guess marble black works differently.

I'll add some photos after waterchanges tonight.

Jarrod

So cute with their little bits of colour. Hoping they'll zoom ahead in the next few weeks so you have some for show. 

Getting excited! I wasn't expecting to see orange and yellow this generation. My plans have just moved forward by several months. 

FB_IMG_1440348388439_zps1tr7fecm.jpg

FB_IMG_1440348397863_zpszh68wko0.jpg

FB_IMG_1440348430094_zpsm9n8j9cg.jpg

FB_IMG_1440348444667_zpsi6adhhmq.jpg

FB_IMG_1440348461469_zpswcxjbr5o.jpg

FB_IMG_1440348475797_zpssdoctxqq.jpg

FB_IMG_1440348482207_zpspgaviwkf.jpg

Jarrod 

:HMplakat:

It's now obvious I have some ventral less. The good news is that the majority DO have ventrals. Quite surprising really, considering how much time they spent on the floor of the tank early on. I'm a little rusty on this, but got food quantities sorted again. This was once second nature to me. Oh well. It will return!

Jarrod

:ctpk:

Oh hey... could you please make sure you do a count of how many you get of each variation so we can feed that data into the genetics projects?

• Like 1