maddzvk

LB20150624 : Blue Crowntail Pair

SIRE
11198955_10153008431188411_1270669963_n_

This is the sire the day I got him.
He's from an LFS I don't usually visit.
But halfmoon spread, even reduction and nice colour with limited redwash (ventrals darn)
With the bargain price of $15 for the pair and a decent match in store same day 
He convinced me I should really give CT's a proper go.

11222533_465837696913042_907320124683399

DAME

11692854_10153152074768411_1332332894_n_

I got her the same day I got the boy,
she's more of a comb than and full blown crown, but she's feisty.

This pairs been chilling while I set up a tank for them in the **in progress*** fish garage
They've been regularly flared, fed live food the whole time.
Once the boy was in his own tank he had a few days to establish his territory, a couple of supervised flare sessions and then finally some in tank dates 
once the lady was in the tank it didnt take him long either. 
On his second or third date  in tank with lady they got down to business.
Less than an hour after releasing her and staring into our other tanks with cursery glances the pair was ok
 I said hey James can you pack the lady away and James said away or out there's eggs. --> 24/06/15
Oh that's a tad unexpected but welcome. lady out and fed, minor damage to her.
Dad was doting and wonderful plenty hatched.
I'm tossing up what to do food wise
Setting up a BBS hatchery is a bit of an issue right now
so they are actually on liquid fry, betta starter and decaps bbs (so 0 live food)
3 times a day with 15L added over the last week, cleaning the bottom for waste each day as well.
They are also progressing really well, all are swimming well and staying at the top of the tank among the frogbit.
No deaths, everyone is active and eating and they are doing well with my not quite as careful as they could be waterchanges.
I'm feeling really motivated and optimistic with them 

it's a race against the clock but hopefully with the water changes and feeding schedule I've been doing and an abundance of tanks and water for them,
if they stay this healthy I may be able to get a few up to size by the September show. (wishful thinking perhaps but just under 3 months it is possible...)

Excellent! At Convention the size DQ rule was discussed and it looks like this will be downgraded to a severe fault. The judging board still needs to vote on it and then it will be added to the changes for this year. Below 1 inch for males and 3/4 inch for females will still be a disqualification. Anyway the question isn't so much if you'll get them to size but how many classes you're going to win! LOL

Thats excellent news. there have been so many beautiful fish dqd for size so that sounds like it will be an vast improvement.

Progressing well enough on there not a scrap of live food diet.
 I had a moment of panic they were stunted then realized they are smack bang on two weeks so barely being half a cm isnt a problem for some reason i was rounding them up to almost a month old and wondering why they were so far below the 0.6-0.8 size expectation at a month old.
Nope. they are 2 weeks old
All of them are between 0.3-0.5cm so on trend for now.

I do the rounding up age thing all the time.  Can't remember the number of times I've freaked out over size then realised my fry are the PERFECT size for their true age :whistling:

Good luck with the spawn, the male is stunning. Hope you get more like him out of the offspring!

Jarrod
Yellow-Icon_zpsac250c40.jpg

Hows the non live food diet going Madz?

​pretty good. most are over a cm
the runts have just had a growth spurt this past week and they are eating grindals now as well.
small spawn but come jarring thats what i prefer.
a few light bodies but most are dark. :)

I do the rounding up age thing all the time.  Can't remember the number of times I've freaked out over size then realised my fry are the PERFECT size for their true age :whistling:

Good luck with the spawn, the male is stunning. Hope you get more like him out of the offspring!

Jarrod
Yellow-Icon_zpsac250c40.jpg

​yeah freaked out cause i was like oh god how are the supposed to half an inch oh wait that in 3 more weeks!
false alarm actually going ok.

yes he is.
hes still just as feisty and flary as the day i got him too