Darther

OOps, What the?

Well, I thought it was getting a bit cold and have settled the pair in a 4 ltr divided tank for the winter. The heat pad I was using seemed to fail and the temp dropped for a few days so I purchased a new pad used for brewing. Doing the Job perfectly temp wise.

Over the last week Dad has jumped the barrier and has been returned to his side and Mum has also visited dad on a few occasions. No nest, no wrapping no googly eyes, just seperated and barrier adjusted. 

Walked into the room the other day and Mum was visiting Dad again only this time small nest and wrapping? On closer inspection, free swimming babies could be seen. Where the ?&$% did they come from? As I said, no nest has been observed until today. Free swimmers with Mum and Dad while still wrapping, would indicate a union 3 - 4 days prior! All the free swimmers were quickly gathered up into a floating container about 50 all up. BBS set to go again and VE culture, although sparse could be utilised. Time for some tank consolidation.

The free swimmers pulled from the clutches of the amorous parents. Being fed BBS, green water and VE

20150529_160243[1].thumb.jpg.4862ecd252f

And Tails, two days after wrapping

20150529_160955[1].thumb.jpg.5de69ab7c7b

I will be treating all these fry as one spawn and once dad has been removed, all will swim together with a birth date average of 26th May, day wrapping occured but free swimmers found. Tails above were yesterday 28th May.

20150526_220306[1].thumb.jpg.2e1e34eb79e

This is the tank they decided to use for a nursery. I have removed the top barrier so she could get away from him if needs be. The floating container on the right contains the 50 free swimmers found.

These things seem to breed like rabbits if given the chance! 50 plus babies will certainly sort me out in this spawn. Previous biggest was 11, 9 of which reached the sort out stage, 5 sold and 4 kept. Here we go again.

• Like 1

Yes Razzi, these are the same parents. As I said earlier, I thought I had put them away for the winter! 

It was an interesting month in their tank. Their water went green and it was about the same time the heat pad died. The water temp was very low and I was keeping an eye on how they were looking with the green water too.

They were still eating fine and seemed happy so I just did two half water changes over two weeks and it was after the second water change I replaced the heater pad. The water still looked cloudy but they still looked happy so I decided to do a complete tank clean, wipe it out, adding the new water with the new clean tank seemed to spark their interest. I'm not sure how they were getting over or around the barrier, but they were visiting each other virtually every day, as I said no courtship or nests until the above happend.

I must have unintentionally conditioned them buy increasing the water temp with the new pad and improving the water quality over the 3 weeks and also maintained the variety of food they were getting, betta pellets, frozen blood worm and some Beef heart.

Where has the time gone!

6 weeks old, still in the 4ltr tank - sharing with 70 siblings.

20150708_162039.thumb.jpg.1fe488f04b0811

Update on Spawn 3. Have just moved the 70 odd fry from the 4ltr to the 20 ltr.

Picture is In the process of acclimatising. Its actually been a week now and did not loose any in the move. woo hoo. And they look much better swimming around the bigger tank. They almost look lost!

20150719_223000.thumb.jpg.31bfc3bb9c7710

Although 8 weeks old, the biggest is only 1cm and I guess that will be because I have not been performing enough water changes in the small tank. Difficult to do and maintain a constant water temp and conditions when taking out water and adding water in an unheated room. I should be able to perform regular water changes and maintain the feed in the bigger tank. Will see what happens. 70 of the blessed things. Feeding on BBS and MW 2 to 3 times a day. Also starting to add a little BH for them to chomp on if they like.