ineke

When to start feeding other food

My spawn is now 16 days old and I am only feeding BBS now. The fry are reasonably large some nearly 1cm already and I would like to know when I can start them on grated bloodworms and grated beefheart as a supplement to the BBS? Is there anything else they could be having now? :dontknow:

Mine get a variety of MW, VE & BBS until they're 4wks old the I start on grated frozen BS, a beefheart mixture I make & keep up with MW & BBS for the littler ones. :)

Thank you Jaylee. I stopped the VE at week 1 but will try again with them. I've had several batches of BBS hatch slower because of the colder weather and tried the Ocean nutrition ones but they didn't like them much. I don't have MW and its a bit late to get them now I suppose as by the time I get my culture up and running the fry will need bigger food. Something to keep in mind if I breed again.

I'd try with the ocean nutrition again. Swirl it around the tank & add some with the VE. They will eat it. ;)

Thanks Jaylee I mixed the ocean nutrition with some live BBS as stock was low and they cleaned it all up. I've got the VE out again and have setup an extra BBS hatchery plus changed the time of day I set it up. I do it in the morning instead of at night so they have a longer light time and the room is warmer. Should sort it out now :)

• Like 1

From 4 weeks I try to get them used to dry food. Spectrum Growth formula is what I usually try. I do watch to see if they're eating it and increase slowly while still feeding bbs.

I put in a tiny bit of freeze dried black worm this morning and they were extremely interested in it. Don't know if they ate any but it looks like they were taking chunks out of it. Only put a very small amount in to see what they do.

Ihave a very fine granule that I can mix in with the BBS it's extremely tiny - it seems like they will try other food when they are going for the BBS- probably don't realise they are eating something different but at least they are tasting things even if they spit it out :)

• Like 1