Rainbowbetta

Help with chewed tail!?

Hi I'm new here & to bettas but I've seen a betta (HM)that has chewed most of his tail. That's what I've been told & I've been told it's not fin rot.

So I've questions.

Why has he chewed his tail? (Stress or boredom)

Will be be able to breed still? (He's part of a breeding pair & I'm wondering if I get both of them/rescue them)

And what can be done to help him heal & stop him from chewing?

I hope I hear from you guys soon

Chewed tails won't affect breeding. We don't really know what causes them to bite their tails. Some time on his own with IAL extract in his water might help him heal. Make sure he can't see any other fish.

Thank you so much for your reply. This fish isn't mine but he been offered to me as a discount & part of a breeding pair

I've been given photos but the female gives me a weird feeling but I think the photo was taken when she was just moved or disrupted.... The poor boy has chewed himself a lot. They are a lovely yellow pair

Should I not bother with buying them or should I get them if I want to explore breeding? (I really want to learn about breeding I'm very excited & nervous) they both came from Thailand originally through someone I've been told

This fish isn't mine but he been offered to me as a discount & part of a breeding pair

Is there such a thing as a breeding pair of bettas? From what I understand, You slowly introduce the male and female they do their thing then after you remove the female or they will fight. I may have my facts wrong.

I guess the breeding pair is used to mean a matched pair that are the same finnage and colour. Usually if you're getting a pair that has actually spawned with each other you would be told that specifically. Bettas don't form pair bonds like cichlids do. Even the cichlid bond can be broken quite easily. But if a pair of bettas has spawned you can reasonably hope that they'll do it again.