Bettarazzi

Blue Red Multicolour HM x Turquoise HM

Heheheh.... another spawn :) :) grinning from ear to ear. Been such a drought, ok I wasn't trying really hard, but it's so great to have some fry to raise again. But a big fat photography fail. Sorry. I will eventually get some photos of them. The male was purchased from the Vic Betta show in May last year. The female came from Boronia Aquarium. There is a huge number of eggs which is great because I'm expecting this to be quite a varied spawn. I'm hoping to get some good marbles from this.

I should probably balance out perceptions by saying that I had 3 successful spawns and 3 failures all in the same week. However one thing I'm doing differently is lighting. I always used to have lights over all my fish but the fishroom has been completely dysfunctional since the house got rebuilt and I never set those lights back up properly. Anyway I've now made the effort to do that and I have lights on timers for approximately 8 hours directly over them and there are other lights and room lighting which extends that to about 12 hours. As we move towards winter I'll increase the overhead lights since the ambient light will be greatly reduced. The theory is that since bettas evolved on the equator they are used to a 12 hour day/night cycle. Of course, they will often be in the shade and there is also dawn and twilight periods where light is reduced. I'm trying to replicate that as closely as possible.

• Like 1

Really need to move this spawn into a much larger tank. They look to be growing a bit slower than the other spawns. AND yes I know, I need to get my camera out and take some pics.