Bettarazzi

Teal Marble x Black Dragon PK

Breaking my rule of not posting a spawn log until after the eggs hatch. But it's been so long I just had to. *lol*

The male appears solid but was originally a marble. I'm calling him Teal for want of a better description of his colour. The female is a black dragon with very good coverage. And really great finnage.

IMG_00032.jpg

IMG_00029.jpg

IMG_00030.jpg

IMG_00031.jpg

AND we have egggsssssess!!

IMG_00033.jpg

Quite a lot of eggs actually!!

IMG_00034.jpg

Spawn tank was a 20cm cube with lots of water sprite and java fern as hiding spots. Heater set to 28ÂșC. Light over tank set on a timer to go on at 12 noon and off at 8pm. Other lights in fishroom go off at 10.30pm. An extra teaser female was placed in view of the mother.

Edited by Bettarazzi
Adding more info so I don't forget what I did.

Nice - but black female? I guess the dragon scales cover her 'blackness'?

Your turn for some fun!

Good luck.

I'll never get these colors down!

The black refers to her fins. The dragon metallic scaling is the pale colour on her body with a great deal of bleeding into her fins. If she was completely covered I guess I'd call her a platinum dragon.

He looks more royal than teal in the photos, but then I don't know his genetic background either :)

Congrats on the spawn! Here's hoping for lots of fry.

What are the goals for this one?

Sorry for the silly novice question.

In the first photo that beautiful black male, I notice he has holes in his fins, Is that damage due to mating etc or fin rot or is it normal?

That is damage from the chasing before mating. ;) Razzi, correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, they're love bites. LOL.

I don't know his genetic background either. He has a bit of a metallic shine. I'll try to get some better pics when he's healed up.

The eggs haven't quite fully hatched. There are a couple of tails but most are still locked in their little membranes. I thought of getting some macro shots but decided I better not disturb him.

Ummm.... I had a quick look tonight before lights out and some of them seem to be free swimming. Surely that's not right. Been a busy day and that was the only time I looked at them. Better get the baby brine shrimp going.

• Like 1

Haven't taken any more photos but this spawn is doing well. They get two feeds of bbs and I've set up an overflow going straight into the sink so that I can just add about 30% fresh water to their tank twice a day.

Need a photo of how you've setup the overflow, particularly how you stop fry from being overflowed out of the tank - very interested :)

I shoved a bit of filter sponge up it. I actually need to do a video with drawings. It's not a simple overflow because I haven't drilled the tank. There is a permanent siphon which takes the water over the rim. It's hard to explain in writing. I actually found it hard to explain in person as well. I did a live demo at one of the VB meets and everyone looked at me like I was a loony. People could see that it worked but no one understood it and no one has attempted to make one.