Darther

Oops they did it again!

This time I tried to do the right thing and set up a spawn tank. I took a little of Razzi's advice, I need to produce feed for the 1st spawn - so why not have two?

After the OOps spawn I kept the feed up to the parents and when I felt they were ready introduced them to their new 'love nest' on the 10th Feb.

Once again, Sire

20150121_150132_zpslec0g6wl.jpg

Dam

DSCF0699_zpskevkghjz.jpg

Both LFS purchases, no idea of background.

Continually fed 3 times a day of wild caught mosiquito larvae and blood worms.

He blew a geat huge nest which slowly disipated over the next 3 days. Initially he hounded her into submission so she was chimneyed for most of the first two days.

On the 3rd day back to work so left her 'exposed' all day. Still hiding in the corner when arrived home so Chimneyed again for some resespite. Can't see eggs in nest, male not looking for fallen eggs, not sure if wrapping has taken place. 4th day left chimneyed untill home from work and let out again. No love in the 30 min so chimneyed again. Feeling as though nothing was going to happen, maybe not conditioned enough? Only 4 weeks since last dalliance. 5th day home from work unchimney again have a close look at nest. OOps - tails! Quickly chimney again to remove.

Birthday 15th.

Day%200_zpsj8rhvhjl.jpg

There must be some eggs in there somewhere!

Because - where is everybody?

Day%201_zpsvk8rgrso.jpg

Ahh there you are.

Day1_zpsbqdfjvs8.jpg

Only about a dozen in spawn but that's fine for a bit of fun. Now to keep them alive!

Edited by Darther
  • Like 1

Just having fun. Now Jay.... there is a professional. Some one with skills to aspire to in the spawning catagory. If my fun was to develop, who knows?

Yes Jaylee is the spawning Queen at the moment. Putting everyone to shame. Need to get myself organised enough to steal that crown away. :P

16 day update.

Feeding M/W and BBS

20150303_115944_zpsctowthwq.jpg

Looking for a M/W to snaffle. .7cm long

20150303_120045_zpsnfwxvhtv.jpg

Grazing on M/W both .6cm long

Only 5 of this second spawn still going. Noticed one or two floating head down tail up a week ago so started adding water to the tank and added a sponge filter at the same time.

Edited by Darther
  • Like 1

Are you doing water changes? I try to do daily water changes at the very least. Some spawns I do it twice a day. Before and after work.

I'm still filling the tank. I take some out and then add a little more, by dripping into tank, than I take out - on an irregular time frame.

I guess I'm more like Brenton than Jay. Softly softly.

This is a good time to learn the do's and dont's.

Just having fun learning from you guys.

Nothing really valid about my approach - I'm just lazy and it works, but it is a lot slower. More water changes plus regular high protein feds equals faster growing fry - that's been proven time after time.

However, having said that, there is a theory floating around that slower grown fry equal longer living Betta. This is taking for granted that at least minimal good fishkeeping practises are maintained, of course (feeding, water changes, general health requirements). Long life has also been attributed to plenty of stimulus for the fish, interaction with both other fish and the keeper - not just during water changes and feeds.

So just combine all that in a method that works for you and your situation and you, and your fish, should be fine :)

• Like 1

Interesting info about the slower growing fry being longer lived. Must file that in my head somewhere.

Looks at though I have a Double Tail in the 2nd spawn.

20150311_124951_zps1munwu0b.jpg

Did a water change today and did a good clean of the tank (After this photo)

24 days old, two feedings a day on BBS and 1 of M/W

.7cm in length. 6 still swimming 4 this size 1 about .5 cm in length and 1 still looks about 3 days old. It never seems to get to the feed.,

Updated the picture on the Sire.

Any Ideas on what he might be with the better picture?

My guess is a Delta tail, comb tail, multicolour?

• Like 1

They have not been damaged since I've had him. I'm thinking crown tail bred but only a comb tail?

Ok, Delta Tail v's Double Tail. What is the convention when describing fish.

DTHMPK how do you know if it is a Delta or Double?

We are at the 5 week stage and this spawn looks to have much slower growth rate than their siblings in the first spawn. Only .8 cm in length. They look to be 3 may be 4 weeks rather than the 5 weeks they are.

There are only 5 in the spawn, againt 9 in the previous spawn, tanks about the same size so more room per fry. The still get their 3 feeds a day 2BBs and 1 M/W. They get more water changes than the first spawn. Actually I have just looked at photo's of the first spawn and they might be 3 weeks slower developing? Curious.

I have a feeling that the first spawn were in a planted existing tank and there was plenty of micro fauna to munch on and got away to a good start. In the Spawning tank, it was a new tank, no micro to munch on much slower initial growth rate. It will be interesting to see if I can get them to catch up.

Yeah I think the microorganisms help a lot. With a new tank if you put live plants in that usually gets things going. But at this stage all you can do is keep the bbs levels up.

Still have the 5 swimming around and growing slowly.

Any idea why 3 of them look as though they are tail heavy. Their tail seems to point to the bottom most of the time they are off the bottom. Two seem to glide as per normal through the water but the other 3 seem tail heavy?

I get that too. Can happen for all sorts of reasons. Sometimes it helps to start feeding different foods from this age.

This spawn has been a disaster growth wise from the start.

I can't believe they are 20 weeks old.

This is the biggest and always has been twice the size of the other 3 spawn mates.

20150715_160236.thumb.jpg.4c2e142690989d

Any ideas what he might be? His iridescence is enhanced by the flash.

At 20 weeks this spawn would be classed as a failure even though only 4 fry have enjoyed the spaciousness of a 20 ltr tank.

I'm not sure if I didn't feed them enough, they seemed to get the 'same' as the first spawn but have just not thrived in a 'fresh' tank when compared to the first spawn in an established tank.

OH well - it is all a steep learning curve.

I won't be keeping him or the other 4 fry at this stage. Need to make way for the next batch having just moved them into the 20 ltr tank. All 70 of them!

• Like 1