Sign in to follow this  
Emmaline

Black dragons critique

Ok awesome peoples, I'm a total newbie to fish breeding (the pond fish do their own thing without any assistence from me!). I have a gazillion questions I'd love help with before I start including whether my foundation stock are good enough.

My aim is for black platinum hm dragons. I'd like to show the progeny and come home with a truck load of trophies (lmao, whishful thinking!). I have 1 black dragon hm male (with some red wash in his fins) and three female black dragons. If I'm going to breed I want to contribute to improving the gene pool in Australia - rather than jut put any old fish together. Pics of my male and preferred female below. Here's my initial questions :P

1. To me she seems to have some dragon colouring starting to come over her eyes. I understand this can lead to blindness, Should I avoid using her because of this or just be selective in the progeny I choose to keep? The other females don't have this but their fins don't look as 'balanced' as hers.
  2. I haven't had them long enough to show them. Are they likely to produce show worthy progeny? What are their biggest faults?
  3. She has the most balanced fins out of the three (and the deepest dragon colouring). The other two have longer anal fins, much longer than their caudal fins which to me makes them look unbalanced - am I right to avoid using them because of this?

1. 10583793_10204817240773463_7422885599157

10473190_10203744992138117_2934214814491

10632664_10204830557426371_7627123159858

10704043_10204830560066437_2908288433384

Girl 2 for comparison..

10626569_10204830557066362_1308046894371

Edited by Emmaline

My aim is for black platinum hm dragons. I'd like to show the progeny and come home with a truck load of trophies

great to have an goal in mind :) heads up your fish are black copper dragons though not platinum (metallic white) ;)

1. To me she seems to have some dragon colouring starting to come over her eyes. I understand this can lead to blindness, Should I avoid using her because of this or just be selective in the progeny I choose to keep? The other females don't have this but their fins don't look as 'balanced' as hers.

its something to monitor for sure but its also linked closely to all dragons so youll encounter it a little bit. The scales are thickly coated with iridescence,hence the reason they look so thick. They are prone to this pigment growing over their eyes and causing blindness as well as tumors. Some breeders believe the tumors are caused from the irid piling up on the cells causing abnormal growth. Either way it doesnt look to bad in the pictures it coud just be the normal thick dragoning rather than an overgrowth/lump.

Do have a look for consistant and even scaling though :) you'll see discussion of x factor fish and fish with many tumours, lumps and bumps i'd be very cautious of using (though yours look fine)

2. I haven't had them long enough to show them. Are they likely to produce show worthy progeny? What are their biggest faults?

show worthy progeny is an interesting one. showing is actually more about the competition on the day than any particular fish by itself.

breed what you like and enjoy and aim for the improvements you want .

entering and doing well in show are secondary to your own enjoyment of keeping fish that being said when youve got fry do show 'em off!! :)

colourwise: In the fry id be looking for a neater bicolour (like the earlier photo of the boy) a clean crisp line and restriction of colour between the body and fins is preffered (so copper body, black fins) and red wash is also something to try and avoid :)

form wise: work on the D caudal (the boy has a nice one but it could be a bit sharper at the edges) and balancing up the anal fins. :)

3. She has the most balanced fins out of the three (and the deepest dragon colouring). The other two have longer anal fins, much longer than their caudal fins which to me makes them look unbalanced - am I right to avoid using them because of this.

i think your correct lady 1 has the neatest anal fin she also has the best dorsal. long anals in a line can take generations to correct so best to steer clear if you can :)

Sign in to follow this