JayM

JLM05092014 F2

So now you're looking for plakats with the best webbing reduction in all three unpaired fins, in the colours you want, and possibly without any red wash...

So not pic 1 or 2, but yes to the top fish in pic 3 and the girl in pic 4, although I've found if you leave the girls a little bit longer, their anal fin will start to extend noticeable past the square look if they are long or mid fin carriers.

I'm also considering pairing all my F2 keepers with a DTPK to introduce a broader base dorsal and additional rays in all unpaired fins, even though I don't have DTCTPK...yet (next year this project will begin in earnest).

Got pics of male plakats hiding in the spawn?

So now you're looking for plakats with the best webbing reduction in all three unpaired fins, in the colours you want, and possibly without any red wash.

Ta. Avoiding any 'red'. :) Definately keeping the above dark female. Not sure on males as yet. Most have red in them. :( But the male you commented on above looks ok. Not sure about other males, I'll try to get some pics soon.

No red would be nice, but you can always look to introduce red-loss or nr1 in a future generation to remove it. I think I have both genes floating around in my recessive line. Down the track we can look at getting a pair over to you :)

• Like 1

Thanks Brenton. Not sure if many will be PK as they all seem to get the longer anal & dorsal fin. :(

10 wks old

Males appear to all have a small amount of red.

Long - 3cm

Short - 1cm

Avg - 2cm

1ec30644-1bc2-4c4e-bdc3-0909941e9c10.jpg

ba96fa05-774f-4e96-92b2-3f889f8b7fa2.jpg

86bff52b-5ddb-4d44-b355-9c91cbc1c56d.jpg

Edited by JayM

Looking past colour for a moment (as it was her colour that originally caught my eye.) If your ultimate goal is CTPK though, look beyond her stunning colour. In the pic above she seems to have next to no webbing reduction. To use her in a CTPK project would be a step backwards in terms of form. Formwise, you would be better off using one of the other 2 girls you posted under her (my choice would be the girly directly under her or the orchid girly you posted a photo of on 07 Nov.) If the extra work doesn't bother you though and you want to use her solely to produce more of the same colour, please ignore the above :)

Orange-Icon_zpsb3230315.jpg

• Like 1

Thank Jarrod. I'll be keeping one of the 'mauvy' ladys too. The rest of the spawn have red on them so I'm trying to find a male that has the least of that.

Always happy to get tips or advice from fellow friends. :)

Totally agree with Jarrod, although the dark background could be disguising her edges...is she cello on the ends?

If you could get a male with good reduction to compliment her...I'd go with the first girl.

I may have a black orchid CTPK male who could work with her....if you don't have a suitable fella :)

• Like 1

She's got black edges. :)
Have her, a mauvy lady & another greenish lass. Will try to get some pics of the boys. They all have red on them. :)
Thanks Brenton, might take you up on that. Does that mean it'll be P0?

Edited by JayM

Must be my eyes (no surprise there :) )

P0...now there's a question...

Technically, I guess it could be referred to as P0, but it's more like introducing new blood into your already underway line so F3 wouldn't be too big a stretch either...

Raz - anyone - is there an additional convention for continuing the filial generation count but marking when new blood is introduced?

P0

F1

F2

F3*

F4*

F5*

F6**

F7**

F8***

or maybe

P0

F1

F2

F3+1

F4+2

F5+3

F6+3+1

F7+3+2

F8+3+2+1

EDIT: IO knew I'd had this conversation before....http://www.ausaqua.net/index.php/topic/15345-bts-goals/page-2

Edited by Brenton
  • Like 1

Is that first girly the one I was commenting on the other day? If so, I can see her reduction here :D Nice tidy girly!

CTPKicon_zps61b4e183.jpg

• Like 1

12 weeks old

Long - 3.4cm

Short - 1.4cm

Avg - 2.4cm

1f626fa6-4b38-4e69-8a3d-87520e6c61ef.jpg

bb6ca830-bfc7-4e81-865c-8c74f9ea3acf.jpg

f2004be8-2223-44cf-a76d-e01774617873.jpg

a728c813-91b4-4346-8da2-b0958490351c.jpg

Edited by JayM

Just to go back to the filial generation thing, I personally would probably just continue the numbering. Fundamentally I just want to know how long I've worked that line. But if you're introducing new blood from a breeder who has goid records as well then you could build a genealogy tree and in that case a particular fish could be F1 of a new pairing but F12 in your line and F5 in the other breeders line. Hmmm....getting complicated... Easier just to continue the numbering.

• Like 1