Male

DSC_0213.jpg

Female

DSC_0220.jpg

Goals

Reduced webbing

True CTPK

Return Yellow

Return Cambodians (or yellow Cambodians...)

Work on Opaque coverage

Possibilities

Dragon scaling

Butterfly

Marble

Piebald

Panda

Female anal isn't great but should be balanced by male.

24th August – Pair isolated – female in barracks, male placed in spawn tank. No plant. Just heater, sponge filter, half cup. I began feeding them frozen blood worm - three times a day. Normally they only get a few pellets of an evening. Male built huge nest.

28th - Female went into separate vessel. First introduction sighting.

29th – Female into tube inside spawn tank. Blood worm feedings continued.

30th – Female released. Chasing ensued.

Female left untubed overnight.

31st – Wrapping J Female removed after a couple of hours – male tending nest well.

2nd Sept – Tails...and lots of them – 400-500!

3rd - Male removed. He was a little frantic and looked exhausted at trying to chase fry everywhere.

4th - They cover the top of the water surface and can be seen in most other areas of the water column throughout the tank. Easily the biggest spawn I've ever had. I've now decided against doing any more spawns for the immediate future - think I'll have enough to do with the two spawns I do have...

Edited by Brenton
  • Like 1

holy hell when did these nuggets grow up! last time a saw them they were just* getting some colour to them!!

Yeah - sorry about that - they took forever to get to a decent size, and finding a pair I was willing to go to F2 with was a little difficult. I only had two males to choose from - this red fella and a fully navy blue/black gent. Both were of similar form but I figured that both were carriers of nr1 so using the red would remove the irid from the line on the male side, and the red would be cancelled out by both male and female carrying the nr1 gene.

The females were a little more difficult - I have around half a dozen to choose from, but most were similar to this girl. All the others had a little more red in them though so I went with the best form and the cleanest looking.

So I ended up with around 10 survive the rocky beginning to reach adulthood - four (2xmale and 2xfemales) were kept, and everything else was culled. Now I have a massive spawn to work with, if enough decent specimens survive with the traits I'm after, then these four from F1 will join their siblings in fishy heaven. Chances are the blue male and the unused female will go anyway.

These guys are beginning to annoy me...much like their parents spawn did. There was a suggestion at F1 that the genes may be a little on the weak side and this seems to have carried over - next generation will be spawned with the DT spawn of the same age to try and improve both the form and the strength of the genetics carried...

Have split them into two 20 litre tanks. Second tank is doing better. First tank needs a major water change I think as deaths are still occurring on a regular basis, although the numbers have reduced significantly. Still small(ish) in the first tank - growing better in the second tank.

Health wise - F1 was painfully slow in growing even though I committed to daily significant water changes, and 4x feds.

F2 seems to be going the same way. Very slow in growing, lots of deaths (although that seems to be almost done now).

I'll be, hopefully, fishing out all remaining fry from the initial tank and moving them into a larger growout tank later this week.

I'm resigned to the fact that these guys will be a long time in maturing...I'm just hoping that I can get enough of them to maturity to have a decent choice of fish for F3.

I'm hopefully that an injection of new genes will allow F3 to grow a little quicker and reduce the number of deaths...

Wow! How did I miss this spawn? Can't wait to see the results. I hope you get better webbing reduction this generation :D

Thanks J - this spawn and the DT spawn are pretty critical in the overall plans for all my spawns - to gain better form through the intro of the DT and to reduce wash from the intro of the nr1 gene and/or the red-loss gene from this spawn.

They have now been split across growouts and spawn tanks so there is less population pressure within the tanks...even more so now that Mr Big, from this spawn, decided he'd eat all his smallest kin while I was away for a few days with the better half...

From a massive spawn of 400+, I've only got 80-100 left I think...

The spawning side I've got figured out I think (thanks to your chats on conditioning), but I've got a ways to go on rearing the fry successfully. Still, it gives me something to continue working on while I play Dr Frankenstein ;)

I have to admit - the thought of a spawn of 400 (especially if they all survive to adulthood) would terrify me...lol 80 - 100 is more than enough to give you a wide sample to choose and experiment with. Hopefully you will have a more even m/f split to give you greater choice for the next generation of spawns.

CTPKicon_zps61b4e183.jpg

• Like 1

As you are aware with me messaging you back in the beginning of this spawn...it scared the :censor: out of me too!

• Like 1

Oh well, you are down to a manageable amount now. Just happy a couple people are posting in their spawn logs so I can live vicariously through their spawns until I am able to start spawning again in mid-January.

Black HMPKs, White HMPKs and some random marble crosses. Breeding what's in my fishroom, moving them on, then getting serious about getting back to Orange and Yellows again.

• Like 1