Sign in to follow this  
dragonboy69

White Spots on Red HMPK

Sorry for asking this question. I have for the first time had a fish with white spots. I noticed my Red male HMPK with. White spots. He was housed in a tank with temp of 28 degrees. So today I done a complete change off the tank water. I raised the temp to 31. I have some salt should I add that and if so at what rate. Any other suggestions please as I thought that white spots can't survive in water at 28+ degrees.

Sounds like a case of Ick. You are correct in raising the temp above 29 Celsius. I'm not an expert but I am told If you choose to teat with salt, add 1 tsp/gal (3.7 litres) Aquarium Salt 3 times, 12 hours apart so that you end up with 3 times the normal concentration. Perform daily 100% water changes to remove fallen parasites before they can reproduce. Replace the water with the right amount of salt. Do not continue this treatment for more than 14 days. There are also treatments you can buy from your aquarium to treat Ick, but I'm not sure how effective they are.

Hopefully someone can confirm.

Sounds like a case of Ick. You are correct in raising the temp above 29 Celsius. I'm not an expert but I am told If you choose to teat with salt, add 1 tsp/gal (3.7 litres) Aquarium Salt 3 times 12 hours apart so that you end up with 3 times the normal concentration. Perform daily 100% water changes to remove fallen parasites before they can reproduce Replace the water with the right amount of salt. Do not continue this treatment for more than 14 days.

Is this 3 times a day with water change after 12hrs or 24hrs. So do I keep this treatment up for 14 days.

Edited by dragonboy69

The prepared medications are pretty effective but will stain the silicone of your tank. Treat in a spare tank rather than your display tank if the staining is a concern.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this