Emmaline

Black and white butterfly

I find black and white (not cellophane) butterfly betta particularly appealing. If I were to breed, this is the direction I'd like to take. What would be the best way to establish a program to achieve this? Male and female foundation stock both with the black/white butterfly pattern? I suspect this colour pattern and with good finnage would be hard to find. Perhaps it would be better to select for good finnage first and work from marble fish which are predominatly black and white to develop the pattern over generations?

I can't recall if I've seen any black and white butterflies. Maybe start developing a good sting line of blue butterflies and then cross that to a solid black.

Your suggestion of blue sent me researching to figure out why blue first. If I've understood what I'm reading correctly then butterfly is easier to achieve than black (melano). So I think that means work on achieving butterfly first and then introduce black and try and perfect that. I got the impression that blue is easier to perfect than the other colours. I think I also picked up that breeding butterfly to butterfly should result in more offsping that are butterfly and butterfly to solid should also result in some butterfly.

So start with male & female blue butterfly or a blue butterfly and a solid blue. Get the pattern as fixed as possible then bring in black.

Which I think is exactly your reccomendation :yes:

This is what I'd be trying to achieve:

http://jennykiwiii.blogspot.com.au/2011/06/about-betta-fish.html

Edited by Emmaline

So next newbie question - what's the best way to source a quality breeding pair? Aquabid? There's a male & female blue butterfly there now so guess they crop up regularly.

I'd prefer to source locally to support breeders here if possible but I haven't come across anything comparable to aquabid in Aust. How do I find them?

Not in a hurry - just doing my homework :)

Edited by Emmaline

We're kind of at the beginning of the breeding season. I say kind of because different people prefer to set up spawns at different times. I prefer winter because I feel I can control conditions better. Last year I did summer spawns and had a lot of issues. That said I {ahem} haven't quite set off my breeding program for this show season yet.

Getting a black and white butterfly isn't particularly difficult - getting some with a nice fixed pattern, and then being able to reproduce that pattern is a lot more work, but definitely doable.

It's always best to get the best quality breeding stock you can to get the best possible results, but when you're just starting out, you'll have some trial and error, so not necessarily spending all your money on the first pair wouldn't be a bad option (don't put all your eggs in the one basket).

It's great you're doing your research, and even better that you've come to AAQ where some of the best Betta minds have congregated and stored invaluable information for the mining :)

Butterfly is usually associated with marbles, but is actually reliant on the variegated fin (Vf) gene, which is usually present with the marble (Mb) gene but not reliant on it - so, long story short, you can get Vf without Mb, but they often come together.

If I was looking to do black body with white banding, I'd be introducing black fairly early on. I'd also be wary of introducing the iridescent layer (blue, green, steel) as once in, they are hard to breed out. It's difficult to find any colour without the iridescent influence, but black looks better without it as much as possible so you may as well not introduce it to begin with.

As for white, there's no such natural colour in the Betta world, but it is possible to put the genes together to get it (obviously). White bodies are the norm, which come from genes like Cambodian (cc) and Opaque (Op), or Dragon - but reversing it so the fins are white is a little more difficult...and not something I've yet researched. I imagine you will still need the Op gene which will give a whiteness to body and fin, but the black should pretty much make the powdery opaque covering un-noticeable...but like I said, not sure on this front.

If you start with a black male and a white female, or a black male and light coloured Vf female (white marble, yellow, gold, platinum, etc), then you should have the building blocks you need to move forward. Don't start with a melano black female, as they tend to be infertile, but with a black lace (which is another type of black gene) female you'll be okay. I suggest a black male because they are much less likely to have fertility problems (regardless of colour), and a Vf female as females are suggested to have a bigger influence on form, so it could be worth a shot to have the female carry the Vf gene for your butterfly.

And, you'll want to breed your best butterfly'd fry back to the butterfly parent to increase your chances of getting a good selection of butterfies in the second generation to work with.

Sorry if this is information overload...and some of this is pure conjecture based on what I've read, and some on what makes sense to me - if anything is not quite on the mark, I'm sure one of the more experienced breeders will let us both know :D

Good luck and keep us updated :)