jasper the fish

caught him tail-biting >.>

First thought was that his fins were getting snagged on his rock caves but I caught him in the act!

Seems like there's not really much I can do... Any suggestions? I hope he gets bored of it soon. His ventral fins have always been ripped since the pet store, but his tail fins used to be in perfect condition.

Edited by jasper the fish

wow i can't believe my fish is actually EATING his fins. just found him with two-thirds of his dorsal fin missing and he was pooping out red which i guess is the color of the fins he ate :( i cant find any of his fins on the tank floor so...

sigh that is depressing @_@

Sorry to hear he's biting. Seems common in long finned. I was in love with halfmoons until I found this out. Think it can be from boredom, stress or habit?

• Like 1

Wow!! One of my guy was tail biting for a while, as JayM said it seems it could really be anything, all my parameters seemed alright and he`d been in the tank for a month or two and I came home one day and he had no caudal!! I have a feeling it was stress though because he seemed to have found the male next to him through a little hole in the divider. Tail biting is a really frustrating thing, I`m sorry he`s doing it. That video was really good though, I`ve never seen one actually do it before!

Dan.

• Like 1

Might look into getting a tank mate, though haven't decided yet. Most suitable tank mates seem to be schoaling fish and I only have a 5 gallon.

First time I had him, he didnt tail bite much, though he did come with torn ventrals, which I assume he may have bitten at the pet store. For a long time he was doing good and then he started again lol. Hopefully I can find something I can add to his tank. If not, oh well.. time will tell i suppose.

Thanks guys.

An update picture today of how I found him with no dorsal (bit of dust on the side of the tank from the day):

mHJvNgp.png

He is living in a 20 litre tank alone. He used to have two guppies in there because I wanted to test his personality, the guppies were a bland pale orange/grey but he still didn't like them. He couldn't get along with them even after I gave him time to adjust, so they were removed from the tank. He used to live in a 13 litre tank, a small bowl. After he moved to the 20 litre tank I think he started to tail-bite : There's nothing I can do at the moment though since my sister has another fish in his old tank so he can't go back to it.

I think for now all I can do is wait it out : Might see if anything changes if I get him a 10 litre tank again, but for now it's sort of like watching him lose his fins day after day.

Weird, I know its something fighters do but its a different actually seeing it.

Fishie agoraphobia?

He seems to have a nice tank with lots of plant stuff from what i can tell in the picture/video. Mebbe ne needs a tunnle to hide in?

Are you doing anything to treat his fins?

• Like 1

Weird, I know its something fighters do but its a different actually seeing it.

Fishie agoraphobia?

He seems to have a nice tank with lots of plant stuff from what i can tell in the picture/video. Mebbe ne needs a tunnle to hide in?

Are you doing anything to treat his fins?

He's got a stack of hollowed rocks and also a trunk/log thingy. He used to sleep in only his rock caves, but with the bigger tank he rarely visits his hiding spots anymore. So far I have only counted on the almond leaf extract for his fins but he still seems stressed. For the most part, he is swimming around his tank as usual and looks happy. And then maybe once or twice a day he'll have a spasm of jolting around the tank. I've checked for illnesses but I can't really pin point it on anything. I've checked to see if it's velvet/ick but it doesn't seem like it. I think his fins are starting to get a bit sore (his dorsal particularly) and he's been jolting whenever it touches surface air. He started chewing up his tails and then I didn't really know what to do other than try to get his attention when I see him do it. I have betta-fix, like melafix, but I haven't resorted to using it yet because he doesn't adapt well to it.

I have a very small bowl that the pet store gave me, but it doesn't look big enough. Feels like a 1Litre bowl. I've left him in there during tank cleanings, and he actually looks super calm in the bowl and never attempts tail-biting in there. But as soon as he's in the big tank he just wants to chew away. :l

Bit of a mystery...

My last half-moon was a fin nipper from when I got him to when he died. Never found a specific cause, and even tried tank mates, planting more, increasing tank size, etc.

What are your tank parameters like? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, and Temperature?

Have you ever treated for flukes? Flukes are definitely very irritating for fish, and will cause them to dart around the tank (flashing behaviour). Even if it's not the cause, you can still do fluke and tapeworm treatments every 6 months or so- there's no health risks in doing so. Blue planets fluke and tapeworm tablets contain praziquantel, which is a very effective medication for parasite treatment. (Providing your parameters are fine)

Edited by Narny105
  • Like 1

My last half-moon was a fin nipper from when I got him to when he died. Never found a specific cause, and even tried tank mates, planting more, increasing tank size, etc.

What are your tank parameters like? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, and Temperature?

Have you ever treated for flukes? Flukes are definitely very irritating for fish, and will cause them to dart around the tank (flashing behaviour). Even if it's not the cause, you can still do fluke and tapeworm treatments every 6 months or so- there's no health risks in doing so. Blue planets fluke and tapeworm tablets contain praziquantel, which is a very effective medication for parasite treatment. (Providing your parameters are fine)

i just changed his water today but before the change it was 0 ammonia and 3.0 nitrite. Thanks for your suggestion, I usually use AQ salt but I just googled flukes and its not something that can be prevented by salt. so I will definitely check into that! he's stopped darting around his tank since my last post but it will be good to check.

i have a quick question for anyone though..

ive seen on the internet, pictures of people handling their fish physically to assess the health. such as holding the fish, touching it, opening its gills, etc. this doesnt seem safe to me but i wanted to ask if this was common practice (if you had clean hands etc)? i dont know anything about fish care in terms of veterinary stuff. i'm a nurse so personally i would be okay with touching a fish but i dont want to touch him if its not safe for him.

Edited by jasper the fish

I've never done it with small fish such as bettas, but I do it regularly with my goldfish which are much larger to take slime coat scrapes, fin scrapes, as well as check the gill colour and feel the belly (soft bellies are symptomatic of internal infection). I wouldn't do such things with bettas or other small fish. It's too difficult and you can easily cause injury to them, so I wouldn't recommend you try it.

I don't wash my hands to handle my goldfish, but I wear gloves if I am collecting samples. If you're washing your hands before handling, best to use an aqueous solution. Soap residue will irritate fish and cause issues with slime coat thickening as a result.

3.0 nitrite, or nitrate? Not sure if that's a spelling error. Ammonia and nitrite should both be 0ppm, and nitrate no higher than 40ppm. If you have nitrite in the tank, you'll need to get that back to 0ppm.

Flukes can be treated with salt alongside praziquantel which makes the treatment more effective, however there's really no need.

Edited by Narny105

I handle betta to move them from tank to tank - fish wrangling Thai style :)

But you want to make sure you don't have lotions or soaps or anything on your hands to irritate the fish, and keeping them out for too long, and flipping them about would cause stress - and remember these guys jump, so if you were to keep your hand open, be prepared to practise your slips catching :)

I don't do it to examine my fish, so my hand is always curled into a light fist around the fish - but I've seen plenty of photos of Betta on palms :)

• Like 2