forever_and_a_day

no judges! crit my show fish

What do we think? I like the way his dorsal points forward and I'm not sure what happened to the caudal it just suddenly developed a point at the end of one of the rays...

And I'm aware the tip of his anal is slightly curled, any ideas how to fix it?

You could still get in trouble for posting this - just saying...

Dorsal pointing forward - Skyhawk - good trait to have :)

Split ventrals - not so good

Anal point not sharp, and doesn't line up with caudal edge, but then I don't think it's supposed to with a traditional anal fin (cant really see how it could).

But he's a good looking fish to my non-judging eye :) Nice caudal spread and shape

Very lively fella - nice spunk!

As for the slight point in the caudal due to the ray - I wouldn't worry too much - he's had a minor extra growth spurt in that ray and it's nearest branches. I guess that would be tantamount to some people having a third finger longer than their index finger - it happens...just watch the fry to see if it is passed on...

Make sure you up date the thread post show to let everyone know how he got on, and what the judges remarks were...

hey BT its generally accepted that if you do post fish pictures etc you explicitly state judges dont look and the judges also need to exercise thier own judgement i know last show the judges had a facebook hiatus of fish pages for about a month before the show to avoid anything like this :)

make sure you have a read through the ibc standards if you want to enter this fish in show (which i assume you do form the judges dont look comment) it sucks to have a fish disqualified straight up cause you havent checked the minimum size requirements (1.5 inches for males) or something like that :P
ill admit i have the standards open next to me so ill just chatter a bit not an apprentice or a judge so keep in mind its just my crazy interpretation :P

DORSAL
i agree i like the skyhawk dorsal on this fellow. and see no faults it opens like a fan, has good cover of the caudal. and looks nicely in balance
if the dorsal overlaps the body its undesirable but i dont think this fish has that issue.

VENTRALS
double tips to the ventrals are a slight fault
the splitting could be much worse but single tips are always preferred

CAUDAL
slight rounding at the of the edges of the caudal but not badly so it probably wouldnt be penalised (if it is noted it is a slight-minor fault)
branching and spread is good achieves 180 so no issues there
i barely noticed his little ray extension.

ANAL
rounded not coming to a point is a minor fault
the anal should be twice as long as the outer rays of the caudal at the edge for the show plakat standard BT :P
i think the shape of the anal could be improved a bit more sloped instead of slant if that make sense? but not a huge thing for show

OVERALL
I think hes really nice :)

the standards have been my bedtime reading lately.
as show chair i'm suppose to note disqualifications and reasons on entry forms and it helps to have a read through and know the rules for entering shows (oh yes theres more in the handbook than just standards)
plus some fish will need to have classes changed i know last year there were issue with people thinking bicolour was a single solid colour fish :/

anyway i would enter him :)
the thing about shows is you can have a fish who wins with almost no faults or a fish who wins with heaps
it depends on the other fish in the class more than that one fish viewed by itself
any idea if youll go new breeder or straight into main classes??

Do we have to purchase the handbook through the IBC or can we download it as a paid member?

hereditary - part of selecting fish to line breed, or new stock you want to bring into your fish room, ventrals can be specifically selected for. If one parent has splits, then choosing a partner with single points is likely to improve your fry's chances of having single points as well, or at least less splits than their parent. :)

Thanks for the input guys! I've been cranking up feed/water changes to try and boost his body mass but nls pellets and frozen bloodworms are doing nothing! Will try grindals again and some dried blackworm (the live ones are so hit and miss I gave up on them because they drove me crazy) - hopefully his anal fin decides to sprout in the near future like his cello brother in the vid!
Also I never noticed the split ventrals! Haha I'll check again tonight but I think there might be a translucent membrane inbetween or maybe my eyes are just going kooky @-@

And I'll be entering the New breeders class - I actually never got around to obtaining Ibc membership :P

EDIT: nope it's a different fish with translucent ventrals, this boy's are well split haha

Edited by MT Syndrome

Brenton as a paid financial member you can download the handbook and standards from the Better bettas yahoo group

Mandy if your not an inc member then yep new breeder and wilds are your classes :P

I think he's a nice fish well balanced and no major or severe faults really which is good :)

• Like 1

He is very nice. This colouration is really up my alley :D

As for the dorsal being "Skyhawk", it isn't quite. There is still stepping in the first few dorsal rays, but still overall a really good shape with not too much branching. At the end of the day, "Skyhawk" is a breeder term not recognised by the IBC.

Yes, those feathered ventrals would be perfect on a CT, but not perfect on anything else. Don't worry though, as it is a minor fault.

The anal fin is still a good shape and size despite not having the ideal sharp point on the end.

Nice caudal. As the others have pointed out, those edges should be a nice sharp "D" shape, but is a minor fault. I can see some uneven branching towards the ends of his caudal (a couple of single rays in amongst the doublerays), once again, a minor fault.

Colourwise, the grizzle pattern isn't too bad. I'd like to see a little more contrast. The marbling through the fins looks great.

And a big A+ for his deportment! He loves to show off, doesn't he? lol Keep up the flaring training if you wish to show him. This is what you want him to be doing in front of the judges :D

Yellow-Icon_zpsac250c40.jpg

• Like 1