Sign in to follow this  
jasper the fish

Do you leave a snail in the tank, after the betta has started to flare at it?

I read that flaring can be stressful for bettas if its for long periods of time or if its frequent. My betta got along with my snail just fine when they were bought together. 1 week later, my betta made a huge bubblenest at the top, and since then he's been flaring at the snail. he doesn't flare all the time, just whenever my betta is in a certain mood. in fact... the snail was eating through the bubblenest just earlier, my betta saw him and didnt even care. but when he is in a mood, my betta keeps coming back to flare at the snail, swim away, and then keep flaring at it over and over. wears off after my betta decides to not come back.

do you usually just leave the snail in the tank since they originally got along, or would you remove the snail ..

sorry for asking so many questions :3

(by the way i looked up stuff online and my snail is a mystery snail not an apple snail as the petstore labelled it :P )

Edited by jasper the fish

mystery snail = apple snail (normally)

i wouldnt worry your bettas probably just bored so hes interacting with anything he can.
they are quite interactive fish
flarings actually very important in bettas to keep their fins in nice condition and for their health so its actually frequently suggested to flare your betta a few times a week :)

i'd leave the snail in. the snails not gonna hurt the betta and the betta wont hurt the snail just show off to it a little so the snail knows hes boss :P

I don't think it will attack a large mystery snail. I've had one attack a one of those smaller brown snails, not ramshorns, mental blank on what they're called. Anyway, he killed the snail but in the process cut his mouth on the broken shell and the wound got infected. :( Not saying that will happen here.

:c it's a small mystery snail, the size of... well the slug part is the size of a 10c coin and the shell is probably the same. my betta ate it's eye once but then never tried to eat it again, usually just flares at it sometimes but not all the time.

thanks for the info, so nice to be able to hear from other peoples experiences and knowledge :P i will probably leave the snail in if my betta is okay with flaring sometimes. i was worried that he'd flare at the snail all day while im gone ... ahh but now im sure he would probably just get bored of it and stop.

Sign in to follow this