Brenton

Fry Fin Melt?

I've not seen this one before in fry, but I've seen similar in adults. It's also only affected this one little fella in a growout tank of around 30.

He's now been separated into an isolation tank (beanie box-style container).

I noticed him a few days ago because he was all clamped up like this, and had swim bladder issues. So I pulled him out and gave him a little pea and reduced his food intake to just BBS twice a day, and in smaller amounts. That seemed to fix his swim bladder issue as he's now swimming around normally, both up and down as well as horizontally. His belly does still have a distinct silver hue though as it reflects the light (you can just make it out in the photo due to the flash washing out the reflection), but obviously no longer distended in any real way.

He was on a mix of grated blood worm, pellets and BBS along with his brothers and sisters - now just a bit of BBS a couple times a day - I did offer a couple of pellets but he didn't eat them.

I'm thinking of treating with API Fungus Cure which has an active ingredient of Acriflavine - which I read on other posts here in AAQ, is supposed to be good for fin melt/rot.

I cant think of anything else it could be as you can see for yourself, there is no other external symptoms. His behaviour is now normal (now his SBD issues have been resolved). There is no flashing, or erratic swimming, no evidence of worms, no sloughing of slim coat, no tumours or growths, no evidence of ick or velvet, and no other fungal evidence.

As stated - none of his siblings seem to be effected by anything - all acting and eating normally.

P0 Black Orchid CT x Black Marble HMPK - spawned early December 2013 (so around 14 weeks now)

Any suggestions, opinions, thoughts would be appreciated.

DSC_0005-1.jpg

Definitely looks like fin melt. Personally I treat with tetracycline or Tri sulpha and have had good results.

Ok - thanks. Tri-Sulpha has been suggested from elsewhere as well...so I'll give that a go :)

I had a fry get this but I didn't know what it was at the time. :( Passed away sadly.

Best of luck.

oh no.
yeah definately looks melty and id be tri sulfa-ing it like adam suggested :(
with lots of clean water and shallow water depth

sometimes snipping the tips where it is the worst 'melted' will also help them gain movement of finnnage and improve
but hes so small i wouldnt suggest it :(

Tri-Sulpha is the way to go with this. - I hooked him up with his meds and within 24 hours the caudal popped open. I gave him his second dose yesterday and will do the first water change later today.

He's doing much better - thanks to everyone for the suggestions and advice.

Now we know - fin melt = Tri-Sulpha :)

• Like 1

Okay - had a second fry come down with this last week - exactly the same symptoms as the first fella. Second fry is a sibling of the first - no others have shown any issues.

So, I separated and immediately treated with Tri-Sulpha - after 24 hours, only a small part of the lower section of the caudal had opened. So I then commenced API Fungus Cure which has an active ingredient of Acriflavine - and 48 hours after that, the caudal popped open :)

First case I used the same treatments, but in reverse...so, the best treatment for this in fry, in my experience, is to use both API Fungus Cure and Tri-Sulpha. Results should be seen within 48 hours...