jasper the fish

Is my betta bloated?

Hello :)

At the petstore he had black tipped fins, I thought it was fin rot but someone suggested it was chemical burns so I have been treating him with water changes, AQ salt and fin conditioner. but while treating him ive noticed his tummy stick out more and more. it hasnt gotten bigger than these pictures, but im not sure what other betta look like when they are healthy. do they all have bulgy stomachs or is this unusual?

He's a lot darker in the second picture because he was in a dark part of his bowl. it was hard to get pictures because bubbles blurred him out half the time lol :P

vI5cP0s.pngbgD8qSM.jpg

I've fastened him for the past day and a half, and have fed him some pea, just in case there was anything wrong. but i don't know if theres anything wrong for sure since google images all have different looking bettas.

tank size: 12.5 litres (~3.3 gallon)

pH: 7.5

ammonia: 0.25 ppm

nitrite: 0

nitrate: 0 (my cycle kinda sucks even after it's been sitting for so long)

GH: 35.8ppm (not sure if good or bad, I've used AQ salt but maybe not enough)

temp: 29*c (84*f). it's naturally this warm without a heater so i havent used one.

also a side question: his fins were ripped ( i assume tail biting from the store or perhaps transfer damage ). its only minor but theres a strand of ripped fin at the back, on the anal fin. you can see it in the first picture, but its only visible at the tips even though the rip is two-thirds of the way up. I was wondering if this type of ripped fin would heal over time? or will it always be a stray fin from the rest?

Edited by jasper the fish

You have a red Veil Tail (VT) - he's lucky to have been rescued by you, so you've started well :)

What, and how much, have you been feeding him since you got him home?

Since the fast and the pea (defrosted and skinned, then chopped up into pieces no bigger than his eye), has he pooped?

His stomach doesn't look to big here - more like he's just had a good feed, but if it remains extended, and the pea and fasting doesn't help, then a photo from above him may be more helpful. Some Betta contract a disease known as Dropsy, which is very rarely fixed. Unfortunately, any Betta who gets dropsy normally dies. But don't panic - look down on him and see if his scales are protruding from his body, rather than normally laying flat. They look fine in the photos you've posted, but it is much more obvious when looking from above.

Dropsy can also be confused with simple constipation. The pea treatment for a couple of days should fix that though - but watch for poos to know he's responding.

Good luck :)

Edited by Brenton
  • Like 1

I haven't seen him pass anything after the pea, but maybe he has pooped when I can't see him in his caves. I noticed that when he had the stomach, he sat in his cave for 2 hours at a time, as opposed to surfacing every 30 minutes.

I have a bottle of betta pellets, the directions said 7 pellets twice a day but I've only fed him want he wants to eat which is around 4 pellets per feeding session. There was one day in particular where he didn't eat his pellets so they sank to the bottom of the tank, and later on that evening I wasn't sure if he was going to go eat them since several hours had passed and I added 3 more pellets to leave there for the night just in case. I think after that he must have eaten all of them at once, and he had that stomach for probably 2 days (today it has gone down a bit). I have some blood worms in my freezer too, but haven't had a chance to feed him any ever since this happened.

looking down from the top its hard to see anything abnormal, so maybe its not dropsy (or i am hoping not).

keZkS9J.png

his tummy looks a bit better than yesterday so i'm not as anxious as before.

thank you so much for the info! :) it has certainly put me at ease. whenever i encounter a new problem with my betta I get really nervous about it!

Edited by jasper the fish

Yeah I think he looks fine! Sounds and looks like he just had too much to eat :P I wouldn't be too worried, you're doing the right things.

His fin will heal too. Not too bad a problem, the water changes and salt will be helping him heal properly. The new growth between the two parts of the fin may start clear but will get colour overtime and soon you won't be able to tell it was ever torn!

He's a lucky fish, being treated like royalty :) keep up the good work. We're always happy to help whenever you encounter a new problem!

• Like 2