Calais500

SBD or something else

Hi Everyone

My beautiful white DTHM named Kasper arrived from Thailand Friday last week and there is something not right about him.

He has not eaten, swims on his side and also lays on his side. Ive had a few bettas now and not one has done this.

Does he have swim bladder disease? If not, what else could he have? What is the best way to treat him?

Please help! I cant have Kasper die on me :(

Sometimes the trip from overseas just knocks them around too much. First thing I'd check for is velvet. Can be very hard to see on some fish. Don't try to feed him if he won't eat. Try live food rather than dry food. I would be more inclined to go for adult brineshrimp if your LFS sells them, rather than blackworms. Live blackworms can go off really easily and might cause more issues. If you can't live find adult brineshrimp you could try putting some aquarium water in a bucket in a shady spot in the garden. You should get some mozzie larvae in a few days.

I don't like to medicate without knowing at least vaguely what might be wrong. But it sounds like we need to figure it out as quickly as possible. If you can get a picture of him or a video that might help. In the meantime make sure you don't leave any uneaten food in there. Add some salt to his water, about 1 teaspoon for every 10 litres. Add IAL extract if you have some. Once we figure out what it is you can treat appropriately.

• Like 1

He finally ate the 1 pellet i gave to him this morning, So I've also cooked a pea for him and he went nuts over it! So im guessing its a good thing he is NOW actually eating!

As of Tuesday I took him at home (as he lives in my office at work) & put him into strong concentration of IAL with salt so I can keep an eye on him until I'm happy he is 100%. After watching him intensely last night it appeared he is struggling with his fins! he goes to turn around, but struggles too. He has no problem swimming up for air or getting back down to the bottom though.

This weekend I will try source some adult brineshrimp and see if that perks him up more too!

A couple of wonderful ladies on the facebook page suggested I show him a mirror to flare up at and see if that makes him stronger too.

I do have a couple of photos... how do i upload them on here?

Partial water changes daily won't hurt. But even if you don't normally age your water, when your fish is off colour it might help. Just fill a bucket and leave it nearby. Run some air into it if you can.

Have you had a really close look at him to check for velvet? It's less likely than something internal but sometimes they behave in the same way and it would be good to eliminate it. How's his breathing? Now he's home you should have him in a hospital tank. Bare bottom, no decor, just some java moss so he doesn't have to rest on the floor and a very gentle sponge filter. Keep the tank dark by taping black plastic, or card or whatever you have handy, to all sides of the tank and the lid as well. Make sure you can undo it to check on him.

i still need to get one when he is swimming... never does it when I'm close as he always comes up to check me out then sits there watching me!

Given his colour though its really hard to see if he has velvet or not. I would say he doesnt have it as he is now eating small amounts, doesnt rub against anything and eye dont appear cloudy. His breathing seems fine, but I will have a closer look tonight.

He is currently in a hospital tank with IAL & salt, so direct light, but might put something over him anyway.

I will get some live brine shrimp this weekend also.

He is really gorgeous. It's such a pity. Starting to eat again is a good sign. And it's good he's showing curiosity. Keep the water pristine. Remove poop and uneaten food as quickly as you can and perform water changes daily with aged water. The darkening of the tank helps to remove all stressors.

• Like 1

Yesterday he built a bubble nest too! I assume this is also a good sign?

He still isn't swimming properly though, but it seems this is just the way he is.