JayM

Meth blue bath - How to :)

You'll need:

Meth blue, tspn, small container (I use washed & cleaned marg containers), facewasher/handwasher/paper towel for spills.

9a0fa4e2-c7b3-4065-8551-bf66e827cdbe.jpg

Fill container with treated, warm water. I added small amount of salt predisolved in hot water also. Then add 1/2 tspn of meth blue.

8d2e66a8-8abf-4d91-96d8-51ba9aa1bc6e.jpg

Stir with a cotton bud or move container to mix solution.

83166e69-8a2e-45e9-901d-2aace6027e10.jpg

Then add sick fish & put in a warm place. I put them on top of our tanks. I leave them for 30ish minutes.

59ff8a98-a57d-4693-9158-875477736103.jpg

Drain solution & put fish back into hospital/quarantine tank. I'm doing it twice a day as we've had a columnaris outbreak.

Hope this helps anyone that needs to do this. :)

Thanks for posting that! Have you compared how well the meth blue bath works against other medication or antibiotics? Is it mainly bacterial problems you're treating with this?

Thanks for sharing Jaylee
"Methylene Blue

Methylene Blue is effective against skin and gill flukes, ick, velvet, fungus and many external parasites and bacterial infections. This compound is very safe to use even for many invertebrates. Methylene Blue works by staining cells and disabling their metabolism.A positive side effect of this compound is the ability to increase hemoglobin (oxygen carrying cells) by transforming methemoglobin. Because of this characteristic, methylene blue can be used to treat nitrite and cyanide poisoning.

Methylene Blue should not be used in the main aquarium as it will destroy or severely defect the biological filter bacteria. It can also permanently discolor equipment and silicate seals blue.

About 12 mg/l will treat a saltwater fish for up to one hour and a freshwater fish for up to 10 minutes. A dip can be as high as 50 mg/l for duration of 10 seconds."

From: http://www.algone.com/articles/fish-health/aquarium-fish-dips <---actually quite interesting :)

Thanks for posting that! Have you compared how well the meth blue bath works against other medication or antibiotics? Is it mainly bacterial problems you're treating with this?

We had a columnaris outbreak :( so treating with tricycline & this. Sadly, we've lost 9 girls & only have 2 remaining. Our cambodian girl was not affected at all & another girl (both bred by us) is doing ok atm. :)

its in most multi-cure products (most use either meth blue or malachite green as a base) and fungus/ich/velvet meds use it alot as well
otherwise you can buy meth blue solutions weve always found it easily. aquasonic does a good one. if you need any just send us a message :P

yes i have been looking for it so i can use it as an antif-ungal for the fish eggs that are being produced. i am hesitant to use other meds.

94 - Betta eggs being produced? - The male should be mouthing them, moving them around, etc - this activity keeps them clean as well so you shouldn't need Meth Blue

Do you reckon if I were to say strip eggs from an unprepared mouthbrooder and put the eggs in meth blue that they would hatch?

possibly. most eggs can be hatched with the right amount of meth blue, salt, environment and movement....

we do
we need to order more as well.. aquasonic makes it (and also has meth blue powder for sale straight oddly enough :))

Meth blue powder? Hmmm. So that might mean meth blue in solution could be different strengths. So you might have to do a sense check when you're following instructions for baths etc.

Meth blue definitely comes in different strengths. The aqua sonic one is good ( we sell it ) but you can also get it in different concentrates ( which we also sell ) so always check your instructions or concentrate levels. :-)