Jaro

Unknown (Halfmoon of some sort) Male

Hi all, I recently picked up a new addition from my LFS, but I am at a loss as to what standard he would fall under, if any. All I can say for certain is that he is a halfmoon, and he has blue iridescence all over, more noticeable on the sides due to the possible partial dragonscaling.

He refuses to sit still for any photos, even when flaring, and until I can get a decent high speed camera, these seem to be the best I can do. :(

Any help here would be greatly appreciated, and any suggestions for breeding partners. :)

(sorry about large picture size)

Odin2_zps11e8b6ad.jpg

Odin_zps8fa3b413.jpg

Standards - we are lucky enough to have some fully qualified IBC judges around the forum so I'll leave any talk of standards to them - just remember it's Xmas and so people are extremely busy and may not be on here as often...

As for partners - what do you want to aim for in your breeding? Do you want to breed half moons? Do you want to breed Half moon butterflies? What about reds, or blues, or some other colour? Do you want to breed a single colour, or do you like the bi-colours, or maybe even tri-colours...

See, there are lots of different questions (and there are a lot more than those asked above) to try and narrow down your goals, and then it makes it easier to find a partner.

Will this be your first spawn? Have you done your research...first foods, hatching BBS, spawn tank setup...etc, etc. Not trying to put you off, just trying to make sure you're prepared.

Sorry for all the questions - but to better help you, we need to know :)

And don't worry about the picture size - the forum is excellent at resizing them for everyone's convenience.

Welcome to the boards!

Ill just quickly throw up that he is a bi colour, Ideally the body is one colour and the fins another with sharp restriction of the colours to their area, a strong contrast between the colours is also ideal.

He doesn't have enough of the white banding in his fins to be classed as a butterfly however as a bicolour thats a third colour intrusion which could be a slight to severe fault what level takes a bit more time to figure out i would lean towards major (slight|minor|major|severe)

For a female you have two options you can push more towards a butterfly, picking a female with strong white banding would work well with this male which is what i recommend, or you can go more towards removing the third colour by picking a female with no banding but could be in for more work with future spawns aiming towards that as well :)

Edited by Neffy
  • Like 1

Not wanting to complicate things too much, but the butterfly gene, the variegated fin (Vf) gene, is dominant and therefore would take a lot longer to remove from the line - at least two generations of very selective breeding - so if you want to breed with this fella, aiming for butterfly is probably your best bet. So I concur with Neffy that you should be looking for a similar coloured female but with a stronger, and more evenly distributed white band on all her unpaired fins.

Also look for a female that doesn't bleed the body colour into the fins if possible as I believe this is another fault, but again, this will be difficult, and take a long time to breed out.

For practise, any blue or red HM butterfly female would be okay for this guy, but if you make your goals, think about the questions I asked earlier, then you need to be looking at better quality stock from reputable breeders, or from places like JHA (a fellow user of the forum), Lodo Betta Aquatics, FishChicks, or.....AquaBid (leave the last one till you have a bit more experience).

Thanks for the replies and info guys :)

It will be my first spawn yeah, and I'm currently researching, but still have a lot to go before I feel confident enough to get underway. I was already hoping to breed for butterfly, leaning more toward a bi colour preference than a halfmoon preference so that's good news for sure. I'll be on the lookout for strongly banded butterfly females, once I feel confident enough to spawn :)

Then don't be shy to search through the forum posts and/or ask lots of questions. Lots of knowledgeable people here more than willing to help :)

I was already hoping to breed for butterfly, leaning more toward a bi colour preference than a halfmoon preference so that's good news for sure.

sorry maybe my heads gone away

but for clarification butterfly and bicolour are both colour patterns,

halfmoon is a tail form

im guessing your aiming for butterfly halfmoons then over bicolour halfmoons if you were to breed? :)

Haha i didn't even notice that, yes sorry, I'm looking to breed for hm butterfly genes, but i am.still quite a ways off feeling confident in breeding :)

practice and research are the only ways to get confidence with breeding :)
don't worry if you research well youll be cool, calm, collected..you got this bro.
plus everyone's always here to help with any qs :)
and then when you do put fish together youll be totes prepared for it