MissM!

Wild setup advice!

Ok all you Wild Enthusiasts!

I am very lucky to have a pair of Macrostoma on their way to me.

I'm hoping either this week or next.

For those of you who are already keeping them I'd like to ask a couple of questions.

1. What size tank would you recommend for a pair?

2. Should I set up a second tank for fry ( I'm thinking positively, I know it may not happen, but a girl can hope ) or will the fry co-habit with the adults?

3. Substrate or bare bottom tank?

Any other thoughts or suggestions are very welcome :-)

Thanks in advance :-)

I don't keep Macs, but keep a number of other wilds, and listened to a talk on wilds and especially Macs from Hermanus.

Tank size, probably at least a 2.5 foot tank, suitably aquascaped.

Hermanus has for one pair, a breeding tank, a tank to move the female in to while the male is holding, a fry tank for young fry and a larger grow out tank for when the fry get larger.

"Problems" people who own mouth brooders have encountered, are that females can harass holding males, predate on fry once released if left in the same tank, try and spawn with the male as soon as it releases fry, not giving the male a rest and time to feed up and recover.

Edited by briztoon
  • Like 1

I agree with Briztoon. A 2.5 foot tank at least but try and get the biggest your budget and space can comfortably accommodate. I have a custom 5ft tank for my macs which sits on my dresser. I currently keep 3 females and a male in there but will soon move 2 females out to isolate a breeding pair.

I grow fry in a separate tank but while they are still young, I will keep them in a breeder box in the parent tank so that they do not have to deal with the shock of acclimation to a new tank. I if do move fry young because of circumstances, only use tank water from the parent tank to start with.

I have a substrate of peat moss currently but have had success with bare bottom. Depends on the sort of 'look' you are going for in the tank (display, breeding etc.).

Hope this helps. Happy to try and answer any other questions you may have :D

• Like 1

Unfortunately the Macrostoma idea has not quite gone to plan. The male from the pair decided he didn't like his tank and jumped before he could be delivered :-(

I've been informed that I'll get first pick of the next batch due in Jan. I guess that just gives me more time to prepare a nice setup for them.

Adam, thanks for the offer of advice, once it's time to setup the tank, I'll be harassing you for ideas :-)

So, I now have a new plan :-)

Patoti's !!!

These are the first Wild Betta's I ever saw, and they are what made me start looking into Betta's that weren't Splendens.

I currently have 12 at work, in the tank right in front of my computer, and I realised today why I fell in love with them in the first place. These guys are the coolest bunch of fish in the shop!

So does anyone have any of these lively little fella's?

Ideally I'd love to start with two pair, maybe 3, as I'm enjoying watching them interact as a group in their current tank. (I spent about an hour photographing them after work tonight)

I'm thinking about a 3 ft tank, gravel substrate and lots of plants, as they seem to enjoy darting in and out of them, but I'd like to hear from others that have them if possible.

hey missm
we probably have a pair spare (ours are from coburg) and theyve started getting a bit aggressive
so i think they may need to be split up soon anyway(was originally planning on a big group but they're fiesty buggers) :)
otherwise could I interest you in a unimac or 30???? :P

Hey Maddy,

Let me get Xmas out of the way, and I might hit you up for one or the other. Depending on tanks, I might go for both :-)

• Like 1