Brenton

Membership Year for IBC Chapters

Just wondering guys, I know Betta Australis memberships are now due, so a one year membership runs from December to November...I think (at work so I've no access to the emails which actually tell me), but do all the other chapters run the same time frames?

Why - because I'm considering being more like a number of the senior members here, and joining multiple chapters to:

a) show my support in the only really tangible way I can for each chapter

b) get to know more people in the Australian Betta scene

c) open up additional opportunities to get pretty fishies ;)

But to do this, I need to budget for membership expenses, and to do that, I need to know when the membership year is for each chapter.

TIA

BT

IBC membership starts when you pay, for a year. Aquarium society of Victoria membership is the same but unless you are in victoria theres no point. If you join the Ibc you can then join the Victoria betta chaptor as part of it, if your so inclined :) but theres nothing extra outside of what you get for being an IBC member to start with! haha

:halfmoon:

Edited by Neffy

Actually the Aquarium Society of Victoria membership works like this. You start off paying for a year, then when renewals are due (in November I think) they do a pro-rata to bring your renewal in line with everyone else. But agree with Neffy, there's not much point for interstaters to join ASV. Well, the monthly newsletter often has some good articles in it and I suppose you could send fish to our non-IBC table shows if you really wanted. Victoria Betta doesn't actually get that membership money, it goes straight to the ASV. Of course, if you just want to support the club that supports Vic Betta, by all means go ahead and join.

Pity there's not some sort of Area 7 membership which allowed people like me, with no local chapter, access to the newsletters, members draws, etc, of the other established chapters. Of course, how any membership fee of that nature would be divided out to the chapters is anyone's guess...I suppose AAQ acts somewhat like the central meeting place for all chapter members. Maybe if AAQ had a members only area with a technical library like the IBC's, but from an Aussie perspective. Maybe membership of an Oz chapter would give automatic entry to this area...just spitballing...

oh i just threw cash at them and it worked :P

:plakat:

Edited by Neffy

That brings me back to memberships in the individual chapters then doesn't it...or do you mean throwing money at the IBC - already done that :P

Throw cash at me!

I'll update a website, write articles and make illustrative diagrams for the website for ya... oh wait.. I do that fo' free.. bugger.
Brenton - I get where you're coming from, thats the reason I was a member of BA, it was a polite way to give them some bucks and occasionally get a newsletter or entry into fun raffles/etc. I still like the idea of supporting proactive clubs with membership.

Unfortunately (or might I suggest fortunately) Victoria Betta isn't formed like the other Clubs, as it's been explained, we operate under the wing of the ASV... so we don't have a formal structure of President, Secretary of state etc. The benefits of joining would be Finchat! Dazza works hard to get that newsletter out, and it's pretty great - but acts as a very general fishkeeping summary, and often talks about our ASV meets (not the VB ones)

AAQ used to be a much more thriving hub and summary, I always treated the meet threads like documentaries so all interstate members got a peek into our beanie boxes to see what sort of fish wanted to pose at the show, as well as what our environment looked and felt like - now I spend more time on the FB page making that information more transparent to more people.

I was a bit offline when I heard SA had become a chapter (very cool) is there an established club and membership system for you guys?
I'd be keen to hear (:

-Ness

err...we're not a chapter...yet ;)

I hear ya though, and your efforts at photojournalism for the last VB meet was much appreciated as is the efforts of everyone to cover the recent IBC shows. If...when...SA gets a chapter together (I am slowly working towards that), then we will all be leaning heavily upon you older, more established chapters.

I'll continue to support you guys through the auctions, memberships, word-of-mouth, or anything else I can.

And although people are probably sick of me already on FB - I'll keep pointing people to AAQ as the best Betta resource anywhere :D

we love your enthusiasm!
and despite what jess says for $20 a year you do get finchat and to somewhat support vb (pays for our hall and means we can say we has members :))
me and james are tossing up SSS and west aus membership since well be visiting them both (or staking out various of their members fishrooms atleast over the next two months :P) also planning on paying for ash's ibc membership so they can use her wild photos (apparently even though she bred, owns and photographed the fish not being a member means they cant use them pshhhh)

(apparently even though she bred, owns and photographed the fish not being a member means they cant use them pshhhh)

I think you mean to say "won't" not "can't". If Ash has given her permission for the IBC to use her photos, then the only thing stopping the IBC from doing so, is the IBC.

Actually it's a can't. There is an ibc photo gallery on pinterest, and a condition of your photos being put on it is you have to be an ibc member.

Maddie made to clarify that when it was first written as it made no sense to us as to why limit photos.

we love your enthusiasm!

and despite what jess says for $20 a year you do get finchat and to somewhat support vb (pays for our hall and means we can say we has members :))

me and james are tossing up SSS and west aus membership since well be visiting them both (or staking out various of their members fishrooms atleast over the next two months :P) also planning on paying for ash's ibc membership so they can use her wild photos (apparently even though she bred, owns and photographed the fish not being a member means they cant use them pshhhh)

I renewed my membership last night and its gone up to $30 :(

And the IBC are being a little foolish - I think it's a wont still - it's their condition they are enforcing so they can gain another member - Ash's photos are superb and they should be honoured to be able to use them whether she's a member or not (but becoming a member is good too :yes: ).

Renewed at BA last night - family membership is $30. Is $30 for the other chapters still family or are we talking singles?