bettaash

Orange Halfmoon Male Betta, what do you think?

He's a nice boy. Seems evenly balanced from what I can see in the photo. Can't tell for sure from this photo, but he could possibly be a slight rosetail. Once again, only from what I can see in this photo, his ventrals seem to be a little short (they should be the same length as his anal fin, or slightly longer.) He has a slight amount of what seems to be steel blue iridescence in his fins and on the body, but it isn't excessive. He also has a few dark markings on some scales, but once again, not excessive. Possibly a couple of bent rays in his anal fin (again could be wrong - only going by the photo...) and a couple of irregularities in the edges of his caudal and dorsal. Overall though, he is a nice boy and I personally would use him in a breeding program if I was working on HMs...

If you plan on breeding him, find a nice orange or yellow (or even red) female with as clean a body and as little iridescence as possible. Look for a HM girl with a nice broad dorsal and at least 4 ray branching and a nice straight anal fin (don't go for one with a long pointed anal fin, that is not the desired trait...)

Best of luck with him. I like his colour a lot :D

Orange-Icon_zpsb3230315.jpg

Can't add much more to what shadoh already said. As you work on this line you want to try to improve the spread of colour. The colour is weaker on the edges. You should be able to select for improved colour.

• Like 1

Well spotted 'Razzi :D It is something I am currently struggling with myself. Hopefully the injection of new blood (from the shows) will help!

Red-icon_zps058831a1.jpg

this boy is from a show
he came third in the solid light coloured division in the vic betta ibc show :)

this boy is from a show

he came third in the solid light coloured division in the vic betta ibc show :)

yes he did :) I brought him not long after that. I have a female for him, she is also orange. I am thinking I would like to breed him with a red, as Ive heard it will strengthen the colour if I breed offspring?

and unfortunately he has slight damage on his tail fin since this photo. Their first attempt to spawn, the eggs didn't hatch. Poor girl got bashed up a bit also. Still extremely happy and healthy, just looks more like a DT then a HM now hehe.

Yes if you're working both orange and red that could be a way of strengthening the colour. Either way you should pay close attention to the females you select in subsequent generations. Red and orange tend to develop colour slowly and unevenly across the body. Not every fish in the spawn will be the same. It might pay to wait a bit to see if a darker female reveals herself. When selecting red fish to introduce to your line look for strong colour on the head. There are some red lines out there with a full red mask and red cap. This will give the strongest colour.