maddzvk

fish euthanasia

10 members have voted

1. 1. what do you feel is a humane way to kill your pet fish

• slow freezing (fish in water then put in freezer)
    • clove oil
    • cutting off the head
    • co2 poisoning
    • vodka/ethanol
    • bleach
    • taking the fish out of water
    • flushing it alive
    • decapitation and pithing
    • Cut between the eyes
    • rapid chiiling (add fish to pre almost frozen water)

so lately alot of people have been asking ways to correctly euthanase thier fish (on facebook of course).
i thought id make a post here.
the main thing is that with fish which has such a large amount of hobbyist theres lot of conflicting info about what is and is not a humane way to put down your fish.
whats practical is another matter

from a science view
The link below is by the AVMA.
The AVMA (American veterinary medicinal association) actually releases euthanasia guidelines every decade the most recent one (2013) can be found here https://www.avma.org/KB/Policies/Documents/euthanasia.pdf it actually has a specific section for fin fish (which include bettas) with what methods are commonly used, pros/cons of each, is it supported (if not,why not).
its aimed at vets not hobbyist but raises some good points

just sharing as it was an interesting read....

thought it was time to try the pioll button haha

Edited by maddzvk

I personally either use blunt force trauma (fish is wrapped up in a layer of damp paper towel just to keep them calm and not moving, and then I locate the head and completely crush it with a single blow from a hammer.

Otherwise I use the ice water 'shock method'. I put a container of water in the freezer until the surface freezes over, I then break and remove the ice, net the fish and put it in. The fish will usually only thrash for a couple of seconds, seize and then gill movement stops.

Putting tropical fish straight into the freezer, flushing them alive down the toilet and killing them with something like vodka without sedation by clove oil first are all cruel methods.

My aim is always to kill fish as quickly as possible and with the least amount of distress.

• Like 1

This is always going to be a controversial issue but I agree with Ash, I do whatever is quickest for the fish. Plus I'm all for the 'get it over and done with' phrase so to me blunt force trauma is the way to go. I haven't tried any other ways but if I have mass amounts of fish to cull because of disease or deformity, I'll probably uses the second method Ash mentioned with the ice water.

I had to move on my Convicts a few weeks ago. Every shop I went to smiled and shook their head. I couldn't give them away. So I filled a bucket with a few inches of aged water, and then added in five drops of Oil of Clove. I stirred it around vigorously to get as good a mix of the oil and water as was possible. I then lifted the individual fish out of the tank and carefully placed into the bucket. They swam peacefully around for about 20-30 seconds and then slowly rolled over and went to sleep - no thrashing (apparently that only occurs if you put too much oil in to begin with. Once all fish were in the bucket, and asleep, I added in another five drops and left them there for an hour. When I came back, no gill movement. These were then all bagged, with the oil and water, and added to the bin for proper removal.

The fish showed no signs of stress. They just went slowly to sleep and then stopped breathing.

I have done the same with Betta but just used a couple of less drops - depends on the actual size and number of fish.

Besides, I'm a wuss - no hammer or brick courage here...

yeah clove oil works real well
main problem is with clove and ethanol alot of people dont realise the first dose is to anesthatize and the second dose is to kill.
doing the first dose only means several people have the issue of fish 'reviving'
doing the total (first and second amount together) dose as one stresses the fish (and owner) with thrashing etc.
i linked the AVMA guidelines just cause even though we are hobbiests 'humane' is thrown around alot with out any support.

Pity the poll can't do multiple choice. I'm a wuss. Can't do blunt trauma. I usually rapid chill using ice blocks. Used to slow freeze until we got a fridge with an ice machine. Tried clove oil a couple of times but I found it hard to get the first dose right.

The rspca usually uses the AVMA (american vetirinary medical association) guidelines and consultation to write thier own. (in fact they state it explicitly quite early on that its based on the same guidelines i linked above)
the AVMA is also a better reference as it is complete rather than simplified and shortened and explained much more (hence its such a long document but the actaul studies in tehm selves are quite interesting if your a science nerd)
also the rspca isnt a vet lead company they are a welfare based organization. so definitions etc will be altered.
And takes into account,many less,factors (eg use of the animal and species described as well as depth)
just a personal choice on resource though
they are both recent and one is based on the other so both are very strongly suppported

this poll was also to assess peoples personal choices and preference which will take into account hobbiests access to substances, Stress (of owner and fish) with the various methods, experience and preference. rather than for the actual ethical ideaology

Edited by maddzvk

where as the racv one is simplified as they aren't a vet lead company.

Yes, they are a car insurance company ;) And your employer.

Yes I know you meant rspca.

I used the slow freeze method, I couldn't do blunt force, but I think ill change to quick freeze I like that better, If im putting a fish down it is because it is already suffering so I don't see one way better then another if the end result ends the suffering faster then doing nothing.

At risk of being hated on, I use a plastic bag and a rock. I usually cull a lot if fish at once. Individual fish I just pinch the head off.

LOL has this post been revived again. Do what ever it takes but don't waist I say. I used to brick mine but I have a friend who takes them now as feeder fish. He also gets the fish that are no longer wanted for breeding as these make betta meals :)

Cheers

Les