Brenton

Fry Size

Nice to know I'm not the only one with runts who refuse to grow :)

F2 - 20140902a - Recessive Line - week 6

I've moved half (sorta...well at least a third...) of this spawn this week. Will try blood worm again starting next week.

Mr Big: 1.1cm

Average: 0.8cm

Runts: 0.5cm (over it)

F1 - 20140902b - White DTHMPK Line - week 6

Havent had the chance to split these guys yet. The intended grow out was going to be my plant storage tank (for plants when I'm not using them elsewhere), but the pH was way different to the spawn tank, so doing water changes to level it out, and then I'll split them (maybe Sunday - got first cricket game of the season on Saturday so it depends if I can move...)

Mr Big: 1.4cm (must get a photo of this guy - the steel irids are obvious right now, but I expect the Opaque to start showing soon)

Average: 0.9cm

Runts 0.6cm

Edited by Brenton
  • Like 1

JLM18082014 F2

8 wks old

Long - 2.8cm

Short - 1cm

Avg - 1.9cm

7dfb396d-9cb0-4318-b5a9-5787d0ee0dff.jpg

4fb15d17-503c-4d70-866e-edfb0703afea.jpg

Edited by JayM

Going through a bit of a demoralizing stage presently - had a couple of unexplained deaths, in different tanks...including my biggest DTHMPK fry :(

F2 - 20140902a - Recessive Line - week 7

Second group doing quite well, starting to grow quicker. First tank is still experiencing a steady number of die-offs. Need to do a major water change I think, although the parameters seem fine.

Mr Big: 1.1cm

Runts: 0.6cm (over it)

F1 - 20140902b - White DTHMPK Line - week 7

Still haven't split them (smack my wrist), there's just not enough time, and the energy to make time is seriously lacking... :(

Mr Big: 1.2cm (The big fella measured out at 1.5cm - not happy)

Average: 1.0cm

Runts 0.6cm

Edited by Brenton

JLM05092014 F2
6 wks old
Long - 1.8cm
Short - 0.7
Avg - 1.2cm

aab11c18-a708-4566-823f-7287780355f0.jpg

Edited by JayM

From the data collected so far, coupled with anecdotal reports from the Betta Radio Show and printed reports around the place, the current trends suggest a few things:

1. Long fin grow quicker than plakats

2. Dark bodies grow quicker than light bodies

...so of course I'm trying to grow out two spans of light bodied plakats and am getting frustrated at the slow growth...

It seems I had two week 5's listed as well - so I'm onto week 8 now and I've updated the week numbers which were previously incorrect. Going back and looking at the calendar, these guys were all started on a Tuesday as well...so it's 8 weeks tomorrow, whereas I've been reporting on a Thursday or Friday (ish).

F2 - 20140902a - Recessive Line - week 8

Big water changes over the weekend. Die offs have definitely reduced this week. I have a tank of approx. 50 and a tank of approx. 100. All the deaths have happened in the over-populated tank. Still quite a few tadpoles in that tank as well so I expect to see a few more deaths yet before things stabilise. Smaller population starting to fill out better.

Mr Big: 1.2cm

Runts: 0.6cm (over it)

F1 - 20140902b - White DTHMPK Line - week 8

Yep, still haven't split them...will be doing what I can to finish getting the grow out ready this week - top of the priority list. The average and the biggest seem to be levelling out so it has to be done asap. Estimates put this population around the 150 mark...maybe more as there hasn't been many deaths at all compared to the other spawn.

Mr Big: 1.3cm

Average: 1.1cm

Runts 0.6cm (only one of these guys left - everyone else is around the average size)

• Like 1

1. Long fin grow quicker than plakats

2. Dark bodies grow quicker than light bodies

I'd agree with that. My CT were heaps bigger at this age than my PK x CT & this line also.

• Like 1

JLM05092014 F2
8 wks old
Long - 2.5cm
Short - 0.7 (think I'll cull most of these one's)
Avg - 1.6cm

0a7dc419-ac1b-4337-a48a-abca6dea0263.jpg

Edited by JayM

Yeah - I'm late again...and still haven't got around to doing photos...

F2 - 20140902a - Recessive Line - week 9

Mr Big: 1.7cm

Average: 1.0cm

Runts: 0.6cm (still over it)

F1 - 20140902b - White DTHMPK Line - week 9

I've finally split these guys and they are much happier for it.

Mr Big: 1.8cm

Average: 1.4cm

Runts 0.8cm

I have finished off the winter Black Orchids, having jarred 7 additional females for consideration before picking my F2 keepers. I've kept 2 males for consideration as well. All are individually jarred now and being allowed to mature further before I make final choices.

This has freed up two grow-out tanks. I'll be doing big water changes on them, cleaning them up a bit, and then moving one lot from 902a into one tank, and the remaining fry from 902b into the other one, so all the DT's will be in bigger accommodation, a third of the CTPK's will be in bigger digs, and the remainder can be split between numerous smaller tanks. All up, the two spawns still amount to around 300 fry but once the moves are done, they should be spread across 6 tanks. Planning on doing all this on Friday evening :)

Edited by Brenton
  • Like 1

Big whoops - been on holidays so I've missed a week

F2 - 20140902a - Recessive Line - week 10

Mr Big: 1.9cm

Average: 1.2cm

F1 - 20140902b - White DTHMPK Line - week 10

Mr Big: 2.0cm

Average: 1.6cm

Finally got around to moving some into the freed up growouts

F2 - 20140902a - Recessive Line - week 11

I have very few small ones left in one of the tanks as Mr Big decided he'd go snack on his siblings while I was away, and my son didn't realise the numbers were dwindling. These guys have finally been moved over to grated blood worm and I've introduced live black worm. I'm hoping to see a vast improvement on growth now...

I have about 50 or so in a grow out tank. There's around 30 left in one spawn tank but I'll be splitting these up over two spawn tanks soon. Mr Big is in a floating container as penance for his snacking. Not sure what to do with him now. He's not big enough to jar, but too big for his siblings...

Nearly all fry have shown, or are showing, red in the unpaired fins, but only around the edge where the fin meets the body. Mr Big has lost that red line leading me to the thought that Red-Loss is present in this spawn. Still hoping to see some yellow appear at some point on those that have never shown the red line.

Mr Big: 2.2cm

Average: 1.3cm

F1 - 20140902b - White DTHMPK Line - week 11

All fry have now been split and are in two growout tanks. They are also on the grated blood worm/live black worm diet.

Mr Big: 2.1cm

Average: 1.6cm

Edited by Brenton

JLM28082014 F2
12 wks old
Big - 4.2cm
Small - 3.2cm
Avg - 3.7cm

:D

Edited by JayM

All fry are now on defrosted, ungrated bloodworm (ran out of blackworm and it's difficult to find in Adelaide).

Growth increases are obvious...it took a while for them to take to the grated bloodworm but ever since, they have they have gone off!

Must do everything I can in future to get them onto it earlier.

F2 - 20140902a - Recessive Line - week 12

Mr Big: 2.8cm

Average: 1.9cm

F1 - 20140902b - White DTHMPK Line - week 12

Mr Big: 2.6cm

Average: 2.0cm

F2 - 20140902a - Recessive Line - week 13

Have released Mr Big back into the general population now that the siblings have grown up somewhat. Although I'm pretty sure Mr Big is actually Ms Big ;)

Mr Big: 3.0cm

Average: 2.1cm

F1 - 20140902b - White DTHMPK Line - week 13

Mr Big: 2.8cm

Average: 2.2cm

JLM18082014

16 wks old

Long - 4.2cm

Short - 1.7cm

Avg - 2.9cm

Spawn done. :)

53faf3e5-82fa-47c6-94ad-72ee6acb3c44.jpg