JayM

Black orchid CT x CT

wow, Sheldon & Princess look amazing. can't wait to see their fry lol.

Thank you. :)

Sheldon has balok rays! Woohoo!

Majority of the males have balok rays. :D I didn't realise until Brenton told me.

:) yeah - have hinted as using him in the CTPK project...

He will be used Brenton. Just have to wait for him to get bigger. :)

I look forward to both your future generations of this line AND CTPKs involving sheldon!

On a slightly related note: Brenton we have to make sure Sheldon makes CTPK babies!

I look forward to both your future generations of this line AND CTPKs involving sheldon!

On a slightly related note: Brenton we have to make sure Sheldon makes CTPK babies!

LOL,all his brother's are balok rays too. Wish I could keep more of them but must be strong.

Good girl, Jay - you'll be over run in no time if you're not strong :)

As for making sure he has CTPK babies - I don't think that will be an issue - your spawn logs prove you are very, very capable of spawning and raising excellent fry!

Good girl, Jay - you'll be over run in no time if you're not strong :)

As for making sure he has CTPK babies - I don't think that will be an issue - your spawn logs prove you are very, very capable of spawning and raising excellent fry!

Yes, must resist pretty boys hahahaha. And thanks. :)

Sheldon and Princess are beautiful, you must be very proud :-)

Thank you. :)

Just moved Princess into the sorority. She is swimming & exploring & the others haven't really noticed. :)

• Like 1

7th Dec 2013 11 wks old

Eating everything offered & very handsome boys. Here's some pics. :D

2ed009c7-f4f2-412e-9a0c-16c9a5317b46.jpg

0b7f0e23-db0e-4250-9e79-ba33197e7b46.jpg

f5361c28-62b0-46f1-84ba-bd76001eb3ae.jpg

6a0d042e-a1f3-4a10-a7f5-0a3f2e3b9474.jpg

Thanks MissM. The 2nd boy from the bottom is a great nest builder already LOL.

Jay - just curious how hard your water is - there seems to be some fin curling present in your pics and that is usually because of the GH. Have you tested it?

No idea? Don't know how to test it? Just doing regular water changes & IAL.

API do a GH & KH test kit. Then you test it similar to any other water test, except you count the drops, and then look it up on the chart they provide in the kit - which will convert it into a part per million (ppm) number. The higher the number, the harder the water.

Just a thought...

We have a balloon boy!

193b15fc-cd1c-4c49-9798-aeb80b032578.jpg

a9174127-e42d-42d8-b648-ff6664d82098.jpg

These boys appear to be balloon too.

0b7f0e23-db0e-4250-9e79-ba33197e7b46.jpg

f5361c28-62b0-46f1-84ba-bd76001eb3ae.jpg

So Dad was a black/blue orchid CT & Mum a turquoise with red wash CT. Guessing there's a 50/50 chance of getting it in F2? Not quite sure how ballooning works.

I believe a black orchid CT is one who shows steel blue through the webbing - so like your fella :)

Are you talking about the red wash or the balloon trait being 50/50 in F2?

Ah ok. :)

I was talking about the balloon trait but will more red come through even though Sheldon appears to be a black orchid balok CT & lady is a teal/turquoise CT?

I cannot work the colour chart out so would love to know what colours might be possible from the above spawn too if you have time. :)

Gh & Kh kit, I think I might have something in the cupboard so will check it out.

This wont be a lot of help....

I don't know the makeup of the balloon trait but I imagine it will be like my understanding of the Balok trait in that at least one parent needs to carry it for it be seen in the fry. Still not sure at this point if it is dominant or recessive. Being part of the CT makeup, it is likely to be recessive, and only carried for a few generations (so if you were to breed to a HM, and then do an F1 cross from there, you would see less and less influence of the CT gene until it disappeared altogether in F3 or F4).

The red wash, in my understanding, is also something which will be passed down to the fry, but I'm again not sure if all fry are likely to get it, if it skips a generation or what the underlying dominance/recessive traits are (still soooo much to learn). I do know that introduction into your line of the nr1 (not red) gene (yellow), will remove it for you. I imagine introduction of the nr2 (orange) gene will do the same thing, but it depends on the results you're after and the partners you're using...

The colour chart is only a guide, not a definitive bible - there is plenty of info and combinations not present on it. Which spawn possibility are you referring to? I see pics of four males...might need to see a girl to start figuring end results ;)

Hard water is the conclusion I came to when I was looking at breeding long fin CT, because every CT that came into my Fishroom curled...and then began to rot - wasn't impressed (hence the move to CTPK). Anyway - I went out and got an RO unit to soften my water and it helped a little, but Adelaide water is extremely hard, and I think I would have to go to 100% RO or rain water, or similar to stop curling all together...or go with plakats and breed a stronger ray'd individual :)

Edited by Brenton

Thanks Brenton. :D

Gh is 9. Nothing I can do about it as you said although I'm not sure what RO is? I did read it on a few sites though.

Thanks re balloon trait & red. Will be interesting to see if F2 gets it.

I thought you could read my mind re F2. :P

This is Princess:

480176f0-581c-401e-acf2-51e46a7d0721.jpg

This is Sheldon:

9451c5d7-ac8b-4f4f-a37a-02a49688c55a.jpg

I love blue colours so hoping to get more of that colour from these 2? WDYT?

I'm hoping to use a male from F2 to start on my CTPK project. :)

Edited by JayM

Ro is reverse osmosis. You need a unit to be able to filter the water into that state. I picked up a secondhand unit for $100. It helps. You want a GH closer to 4, I think, for CT's :)

Steel is co-dominant with turquoise and royal blue. So in order: blbl, BlBl, and Blbl.

As Sheldon and Princess both carry bl then you should get some steel from the fry. Would love to see you use steel in the CTPK line, but to use your male, you will need to find a steel HMPK female. To use a female, you would be looking for either, a steel HMPK male or maybe a yellow HMPK...but some of the more experienced breeders might have better suggestions for you.