Brenton

Marble Dragon HMPK x Turquoise CT

nice anubias ;)
theyre turning out real good love the blue one even if he was bullied!
and nice green for you to work with
is your daughter excited bout your green fishies :P

The daughter wont be happy till she sees an end product...but they are getting there, which is the main thing.

Ok - good chance Razzi is right :( The first "male" I jarred for bullying the blue, has just dropped her ovipositor...

Hadn't seen any evidence of it previously, but tonight, there it was....

I'd been thinking that these "guys" were a long way behind the growth charts, that the appearance of their ventrals beginning to thicken was an indication of sex. All seven have the same ventral appearance, which would lead to the thought that all seven will be female.

I think I'll get four usable girls from this spawn which means I'll need to wait and see if any males come out of the other two spawns to progress them.

I could put Jason and Kate back together and try again...

This would have a few advantages:

• I'm a little more experienced so maybe more fry would survive
  • Chances of males
  • The spawn would be closer in age to my other two spawns making F2 selections simpler.

I have a free spawn tank available (I know...shock horror), so it's definitely doable.

Thoughts?

maybe wait a little more before sexing em small uns
some of our lot are sexable weeks ago others are still out on the sidelines...
meh fish develop at different rates even with in spawns

could put Jason and Kate back together and try again...

This would have a few advantages:

• I'm a little more experienced so maybe more fry would survive
  • Chances of males
  • The spawn would be closer in age to my other two spawns making F2 selections simpler.

I have a free spawn tank available (I know...shock horror), so it's definitely doable.

DO IT

free spawn tank

larger F1 to select from

its new years. new years babies! yeah bring 2014 in with a spawnnnnn
Jason and Kate are more experienced so maybe they can get down to business easier this time!
plus your more experienced so more than 7 fry perhaps this time *joking*

i see positives

• Like 1

Cant put them back together anymore...call it my innate sense...call it my stubborn streak...

I put Ghost back in with the fe/male yellow CT - and we have eggs :D

That puts that question of gender to bed!

Female removed. Ghost tending nest well. Will wait for tails before commencing spawn log...

Fourth time was a charm :ctpk:

And then...Dad's marble gene appeared...

DSC_0005-2.jpg

She was completely royal blue this morning - now she looks like someone has striped away her outer layering from snout to mid way down her torso. Her lips are still blue, and the line between colour and no colour is very marked. Will keep a close eye on her to document the changes :)

Day two of marbling:

DSC_00154.jpg

As you can see, the discolouration has progressed to the flanks...and I'm beginning to think this she is a he...

As well as the runt of the litter may also be a he:

DSC_00242.jpg

To the naked eye, he looks almost red, but the iridescence shows up clearly in the photos...obviously :P

If correct, then that will give me two boys and five girls from this spawn to work with

Edited by Brenton

Day four of the marbling process (sorry, forgot to take a photo yesterday)

All the unpaired fins are now showing clear evidence of cellophane banding around the edges - marbling and variegated fins (vf) are separate genes and both are not necessarily required in the same fish to get cellophane banding - is this a correct statement?

So is it vf or marbling which causes cellophane?

I'm also quite happy with this guys overall form, although his reduction obviously needs a lot of work. I have two nicely developing females (his sisters) to match him up with. They have better reduction and nice form as well.

They are obviously still maturing, so any potential pairing is still some way off :)

DSC_00026-1.jpg

• Like 1

All seven remaining fish have been put into their own spaces now. I've definitely got 5 girls. I'm pretty sure I have 1 male. The jury is out on the last one - I'm hedging towards male though...still trying to get a decent picture of him/her.

Stepping up the protein diet to try and get more size on them...installing a gym next Wednesday ;)

Agreed - what's worse is I have pics, but I never get around to putting them up...need to fix that :P

So quite possibly the last update for this log.

2 males and 5 females survived.

1 male is a mid-fin metallic turquoise/opaque marble butterfly, the other is more plakat, still has the butterfly pattern but has marbled through the body to lose most of his turquoise colouring.

42cm.jpg

Mid fin ^^^

DSC_00026-1.jpg

Plakat male ^^^

One female is also mid-fin but the remainder are more shortfin. I have a steel, a blue and a turquoise plakat with form promise for CTPK but carry varying degrees of red wash.

And the album slide show can be found here:

http://s718.photobucket.com/user/btomlinson/slideshow/Jason%20x%20Turquoise%20CT%2020130924

Edited by Brenton

Setup spawns for F2 last night. Conditioned commenced and pairs selected -> photos to come in new spawn logs if/when successful :)